We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
The Role and the Team
Performance is important for us in Canva. We want to be the fastest graphical design tool in the world. The Performance team is set to achieve this mission. We are building a performance culture in Canva and to do that, we are looking for engineers with an interest in performance, how to debug and measure, and changing the way we work to allow fast performance by default.
We'd love to hear from you if you fit one or more of these:
You are a fan of solving performance issues and know how to debug and propose solutions ranging from a practical quick fix to a standardised change to roll out across the company. You understand the reasons behind why every performance metrics are different and how it relates to the user experience. You know how to measure performance from synthetic measurements to collecting real user performance metrics. You have experience in creating a system for automated performance testing and know how to effectively fit this into a developer’s workflow.
You will be exploring new ways to improve our engineering practices. Your work would be getting more useful insights to show how performance issues affect us, finding engineering best practices and communicating how to use it across the company, building tools to make sure the code we write are up to our performance standards, and being the performance evangelist in the company alongside the rest of the team.
- Working with performance profiling and debugging tools in your web browser of choice. These are tools such as Chrome DevTools, Lighthouse, WebPageTest, and others.
- Experimenting with technologies and architectural patterns that will improve the way we develop features to make fast performance a default.
- Harnessing the performance data we collect from real users or from synthetic monitoring applications to find areas where we can improve performance for the user experience.
- Building and maintaining tools we use to test performance in our builds, tools to give feedback on performance regressions in pull requests, and tools to measure real user performance metrics.
- Collaborating with the team and other engineers outside the team to find issues in the whole product and communicate clear action items. Empowering other engineers is one of our team’s core values.
- Knowledge on common performance issues: what bottlenecks the browser main thread, network requests, and anything related to rendering pixels to the screen in a browser.
- Experience developing rich applications with HTML/CSS/JS
- Intimate knowledge of cross-browser and cross-device development
- Ability to write high-performance, reusable code for UI components, including appropriate testing
- Passion for performance debugging and benchmarking
- Minimum two years experience
- Computer science fundamentals
- Experience with SVGs
- Experience with graphics programming
- Experience with GLSL / WebGL
- Experience with Java
- An interest in interaction design
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Gym and yoga facilities onsite
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided and visa application fees covered
- Annual salary: $80,000 to $150,000 Plus Superannuation and Stock Options
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We are looking for people who love technology and can bring creativity when solving challenging problems. We ensure that the Canva workspace is setup for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so. Do you know we have a chef, Song and Chris, that make fantastic lunches for the team? Follow them on Instagram here to see what has been whipped up today: https://www.instagram.com/canvalife/
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.