We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the Role:
Want to be responsible for the engine that powers most of Canva’s web pages? The Pages Platform team gives tools that enable Canvanauts to build great landing pages without sweating. Our tools help with many disciplines involved in developing great pages, such as accessibility, content, data, experimentation, localization, monitoring, SEO, performance, etc.
We are looking for an engineer who knows a mix of FE and Infrastructure and wants to help us deliver the next generation of automation and tooling.
- Keep the systems healthy and bug-free.
- Identify opportunities and improve the efficiency in the process of creating and maintaining web pages.
- Collaborate with engineers, PMs and Growth managers to find out how we can make their lives easier.
- Running surveys and experiments to gather relevant data.
- Keep your work aligned with real problems and strategic directions.
- Drive goals, from inception to completion.
- Improve our engineers’ local development experience.
- Improve our build and deployment systems, making them faster, safer and more reliable.
- Improve our systems’ observability, to make sure that we detect any problems before the users.
- Give engineers the tools to delight our users, through reusable components that are conducive to good UX.
- Embed best practices into our development processes.
- Propose large-scale changes through well-written specifications (we call them Design Docs), explaining the problems, the goals and the solution.
- Participate in design and code reviews.
- Strong computer science and software engineering skills.
- Good understanding of NodeJS.
- Basic understanding of how a browser rendering engine works.
- Basic understanding of CI/CD systems (scripts, repositories, building agents, etc.).
- Strong desire to learn new technologies (especially the ones mentioned below).
- Good understanding of building systems (e.g. compilers, transpilers and dependency managers), including Bazel, NPM/Yarn and Webpack
- Good understanding of testing at scale (the role of unit, integration, visual, end of end in large systems)
- Familiarity with React and its most common design patterns
- Familiarity with Typescript and MobX
- Familiarity with HTTP/SSL, edge and proxy systems (e.g. Cloudflare and Nginx)
- Familiarity with logging and monitoring tools (Datadog, Kibana and Sentry)
- Familiarity with Buildkite, Docker and Github
Recent Projects Include
- Easel: company-wide design system delivered to your door
- Sentry: improving our observability across different teams
- Webpack 5: improving the performance of building our systems
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Gym and yoga facilities onsite
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided and visa application fees covered
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn’t just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We are looking for people who love technology and can bring creativity when solving challenging problems. We ensure that the Canva workspace is setup for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so. Do you know we have a chef, Song and Chris, that make fantastic lunches for the team? Follow them on Instagram here to see what has been whipped up today: https://www.instagram.com/canvalife/.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.