We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
The Finance and Legal Group’s mission is to protect and serve Canva and its stakeholders. That means we empower every team within the company to work quickly and autonomously, while at the same time maintaining compliance in all areas.
As a fast growing group, we’ve only scratched the surface of the insights we can provide, and our potential to influence Canva’s strategic decisions.
The vision is for Canva to be recognised and commended by its peers and stakeholders as having a world-class Finance and Legal team.
What does our General Ledger and Accounting team do:
The General Ledger and Accounting function of the FinOps team plays a key role in ensuring the integrity and timeliness, accuracy and completeness of financial information. Our mission is to maintain the most accurate data set of information and support the wider Finance team with general ledger accounting, queries and reporting.
We currently have team members in Sydney and Manila, and are looking to continue scaling the team! With expanding operations across the world in multiple jurisdictions, we are looking for a Financial Accountant who can build and expand on our accounting close processes, as well as assist in the preparation of monthly financial reporting, and internal scaling of financial processes.
This is a critical role that will work closely with other finance teams, providing guidance and support to the Corporate Accounting and Shared Services team as well as supporting reporting requirements with the Tax and Commercial Accounting teams, and excellent development opportunity for an ambitious accountant looking to take on new and exciting challenges!
As a Financial Accountant you will:
- Be a pivotal owner of GL accounting processes for various non-AU subsidiaries working with the GL Team, Planning and Reporting and Finance Business Partners during the month end close process to ensure the timely and accurate closing of the monthly and quarterly books across multiple entities
- Work on preparing post close adjustments such as a number of different cost accruals, and work with local Finance teams and the Commercial Finance team on documenting monthly expense variance analysis and budgetary movements
- Have ownership of month end close packs for specific entities within the Canva Group structure and coordinating closely with key stakeholders across the business to ensure the most accurate and timely information has been recorded
- Be the primary owner of monthly balance sheet reconciliations reports for entities within the Canva Group structure - investigating any discrepancies and accounting adjustments required
- Support the review of accurate transactional tagging across Canva Group’s P&L’s on a weekly basis and have ownership of the chart of accounts review, update & changes process where required in local entities as well as supporting local finance teams with onboarding chart of accounts mapping and advising on best practices for financial onboarding of new entities
- Our Sydney team works side-by-side with our Canva shared services team in the Philippines. As well as being supported by them in the ownership of these processes, you will be a key mentor in their development and will assist the team identifying resource needs
- Maintain appropriate files, reports, documentation and data related to GL accounting, such as supporting information for all accruals and variances
- Ownership of policy compliance across multiple group entities and ensuring process roll-outs for new entities
- Working with the wider team and ownership of specific areas of process improvement projects and process documentation across the General Ledger team
Who we are looking for:
- An expert of their craft: You will have a solid technical background and know how to operate in a high growth environment. You are adaptable and have a strong appetite in learning new knowledge
- A team player: You enjoy collaborating and rallying the team towards achieving its goals and always willing to lend a hand to your colleagues for the collective good. Your values and interpersonal approach will be a metric of success for this role and technology
- A collaborator: You will work closely within the Sydney Head Office Finance team, as well collaborating with out local finance teams in different jurisdictions, working with the GL Accounting Lead and Finance Manager based in Sydney and supporting the GL Accounting team based in Manila
- Master of bringing chaos to clarity: We’re a fast-moving business so change is frequent and volumes will continue to grow, you’ll be comfortable working in a hands-on environment and have excellent communication skills
We would love if you had:
- A Bachelor’s/College Degree in Finance/Accountancy or equivalent
- CA qualified or equivalent qualification
- 3-4+ years of relevant accounting in either a professional services environment or in-house role with audit and financial reporting exposure
- Experience with ERP systems such as Xero, SAP, Oracle, Workday Financials etc is essential, experience with NetSuite Oneworld is preferred but not required
- Proven ability to own end to end processes, including recommending and implementing improvements or process changes
- Keen eye for details and the ability to identify and correct errors in processing
- Highly organised with the ability to work within set deadlines
- Advanced Excel/Gsheet skills are desirable
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.