We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the FinOps team (within Finance and Legal)
The FinOps team’s mission is to ensure that we have an accurate and complete data set upon which to perform timely financial analysis.
We are at the core of the Finance Group, providing transactional services and financial data relied upon by the business and the wider finance team alike (encompassing general ledger, treasury, accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll).
The FinOps team in Sydney owns payroll for Australia, New Zealand, the US and Europe and works closely with the payroll owners in Manila and China.
About the candidate
You will have experience in overseeing payroll processes and activities, as well as associated month end accounting activities, having obtained a relevant accounting qualification.
You will enjoy mentoring and developing people, helping support the team members setting their own goals, helping the team to deliver on its regular cadences and driving projects forward.
You will have a strong attention to detail given the critical nature of payroll and contractor pay, as well as a passion for continuous improvement and ensuring deadlines are met.
You will have demonstrated ability in setting up new processes and working with external stakeholders to achieve operational outcomes.
We’re a fast moving business so change is frequent, you’ll be comfortable working in a hands on, dynamic environment and have excellent communication & project management skills.
- Coach and mentor to a highly engaged team of 3 members and growing
- Oversight and final reviews of fortnightly, bi-monthly and monthly payrolls for Australia, New Zealand the US and Europe respectively (some of which are managed internally, some with outsourced providers)
- Review and release of certain related cash payments and oversight of payroll funding needs
- Oversight of Finance activities related to Canva’s growing contractors workforce, including payments, withholding taxes, reporting and associated processes
- Ultimate ownership and oversight of month end payroll and contractors accounting activities, as well as ongoing local payroll and contractor compliance requirements (including super, taxes, workers insurances etc in all the international jurisdictions we operate payroll)
- Rolling out of new processes, initiatives, policies service enhancements as they relate to payroll and contractors in line with our growing jurisdictions of operation
- Ensuring the accuracy and consistency of all Finance transactional activities related to payroll and contractors
- Working with other finance teams such as Tax and FP&A who have dependencies from the FinOps team
Projects and Goals:
- Review of existing global internal / outsourced payroll processing arrangements and potential plans for streamlining, ensuring local compliance and setting up for scaling
- Identifying areas for process improvement, automation and controls, working closely with the People, Legal, Total Rewards and Business Systems teams as we continue to scale and support the rapid growth of the business
- Support the ongoing global contractor engagement processes from a Finance lens, working with the People and Procurement teams to be able to scale contractor needs across Canva
- Owning the overall Finance team projects and goals roadmap within the global payroll and contractors space, helping the team to set and achieve these goals and identifying future hiring needs for the team as we continue to scale rapidly and expand into more jurisdictions
- Oversee the implementation of improved payroll and contractor monthly reporting to support business analysis and insights
- Other ad-hoc activities, analysis and project work as required.
We’d love it if you had:
- 6+ years experience, some in a similar Commercial Finance role
- Previous knowledge and experience with AU payroll processing, associated month end accounting and relevant compliance activities and legislation is a must
- Experience managing / overseeing payroll for multiple international jurisdictions and ensuring compliance obligations are met is a strong plus
- Experience with accounting for contractors and associated procure to pay processes a strong plus
- Experience with cloud-based accounting systems such as NetSuite and payroll platforms is a bonus
- CA/CPA qualified or equivalent qualification
- Experience with review of month end accounting activities, balance sheet reconciliations etc
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor others and developing out team capabilities
- Advanced MS Excel
- A keen eye for detail and strong processes and control environment
- Proven experience with process setup and improvement, strong project management skills;Exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills
- Experience with SOX or other similar control frameworks a bonus
- Highly organised with the ability to work under pressure and within set deadlines
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work. We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to.
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love. Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife
Competitive salary on offer, plus equity optionsFlexible working hours and a hybrid remote/office work modelIn-house chefs that cook delicious breakfasts and lunches for us each day!A Vibe and Thrive allowance that covers personal education, wellbeing, social connections and home office support. In house gymGenerous parental leave policyPet-friendly officesSponsored social clubs and team events + fun and quirky celebrations
Being a Force for good
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.