We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the Group
The Finance and Legal Group’s mission is to protect and serve Canva and its stakeholders. That means we empower every team within the company to work quickly and autonomously, while at the same time maintaining compliance in all areas.
We are trusted business partners that are able to take goals of the company and translate them into financial outcomes to help the company achieve its growth targets.
The vision is for Canva to be recognised and commended by its peers and stakeholders as having a world-class finance team.
You will be part of a new real estate subspecialty within Finance, but works closely with our Vibe team (responsible for the overall feel and layout of our spaces and the facilities within).
We are looking for a Finance professional with experience in the financials of real estate, who knows the ins and outs of accounting for leases, capacity planning, monitoring construction budgets, facilities and utilities cost reporting and scenario analyses.
You are a qualified CA/CPA with a keen eye for detail and a strong desire to learn. You have a strong sense of ownership and approach tasks with a problem solving attitude, focused on continuous improvement.
You’re someone that loves creating clarity from chaos. When operating in a fast paced environment, you’re able to adapt quickly, manage workloads and meet deadlines with support and oversight. You excel at all forms of communication, being able to clearly communicate insights and ideas in oral and written form to both finance & non-finance stakeholders.
- Working closely with the Real Estate and Vibe teams to provide key decision support on all things international leasing, construction & facilities costs (to support Canva’s ambitious growth goals)
- Partnering with wider Finance and Legal, supporting contractual review from a Finance lens, working with Treasury on related bank guarantees, reporting required for financing arrangements etc
- Be the key driving force for process improvement - identifying areas of improvement in both financial & operational areas, and helping take the business along the journey
- Translating complex Real Estate financial understanding to non-Finance stakeholders, educating senior leadership to inform their decision making
- Developing Real Estate’s ‘Reporting & Business Case Approval Framework’ - to provide senior leadership a holistic view of global operations with insights to inform ongoing decision making & ensuring operational processes/playbooks are built for scale
- Building out CAPEX & OPEX budgeting and forecasting, & supporting central FP&A month end reporting cadences/processes
- Ad hoc involvement in wider finance projects and other business partnering initiatives
Experience you will have
- 5+ years in a Finance Manager or Finance Business Partner role in a commercial environment, with some experience partnering with in house real estate and facilities teams
- Depth of experience working with the financials of real estate and associated accounting (including lease accounting) and reporting, ideally from a global perspective, to support senior leadership decision making around capacity planning, leasing commitments, ‘Lease vs Buy’ scenarios etc
- Self motivated with a strong desire to turn chaos into clarity
- CA/CPA qualified or equivalent qualification
- Advanced Excel & financial modelling, business case modelling & report building skills
- Experienced with reporting, budgeting and forecasting of leasing, associated facilities costs, capex budgeting etcExceptional communication skills (both written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional stakeholder manager, experience working with non-finance functions, and are able to clearly communicate ideas and insights to both finance & non finance stakeholders
- SaaS/Tech industry experience is a plus
How you will grow and develop at Canva
- You will grow and develop as a business partner and become pivotal role in developing our global office space strategies - this is a visible role working with a broad spectrum of stakeholders across Finance, Legal, Vibe and Security, which will help you refine and develop your business partnering approach
- You’ll leverage your reporting, insights and commentary to drive action and critical decision making in the business
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work. We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to.
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Psst - We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.