Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
Want to join Canva?
Join our Video Group as a Software Engineering Lead, directly responsible for 8 engineers from a mix of specialities including backend, frontend, ios and android. We are seeking someone who wants to be in the thick of it - working across technical design, code architecture, hiring, engagement with key stakeholders across the business, and professional growth and development of the people they lead.
About the group
The Video group's mission is to be the go-to video platform for every user regardless of editing skills. We are in an era of visual technology and this group makes it all possible for all users to create dynamic content to get their message across on almost every playable format.
What you’ll do
- Coach, mentor, and grow a team of engineers while developing your coaching capability to scale the team and meet the needs of the growing Video editing vision
- You will have a hands-on focus on technical problems, solving the most ambitious problems, and guiding the team to deliver results.
- As an experienced engineer, you will help the team deliver scalable and robust product features to the core Design Experience for Canva Video users around the world.
- You will work closely with the Product Manager to understand and contribute to the product roadmap.
- You will drive the planning and refinement of seasonal goals, ensuring there is alignment between the company, group, and teams.
- You will foster a culture of collaboration and advocate for the engineering needs of non-technical collaborators within the group.
- You will own and drive the delivery of large, cross-team, and cross-group initiatives and projects from ideation to completion, with autonomy and independence of decision making.
What you bring
- Proven technical and people leadership, particularly leading teams of different specialities
- Experience with video compositing, audio and/or steaming would be highly beneficial
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- Previous experience in working collaboratively with team members and communicating effectively.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to break large projects down into smaller ones and deliver on them through others.
- Good writing and verbal communication skills.
This team is involved in an ambitious, multi year project so apply today if you are keen on making tremendous impact in the video space!
This role is remote-friendly across Australia and New Zealand - you don't have to live in Sydney to make a huge impact at Canva. Apply now to be considered!
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.