Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Product Design team
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we are yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
About the group you’ll be joining
The Ecosystem group is on a mission to empower 3rd party developers to create an abundance of apps and integrations that supercharge Canva’s ability to meet the diverse needs of our one billion users and drive Canva’s MAU growth.
We want to ensure Canva becomes the leading platform for teams and SaaS products to process visual design and communication. We envision in 2026, the Canva Ecosystem will make us the most pluggable platform in the world, enabling us to simplify design creation, boost team collaboration and optimise enterprise workflows in Canva.
Our strategy anchors on three product pillars:
Apps in Canva - Simplifying user workflows by bringing other apps and services into Canva
Scaled Connections - Enabling Canva to work seamlessly with other SaaS apps in E2E workflows
Canva in Apps - Thoughtfully bringing Canva created content to where our users are
About the role
As part of the Ecosystem Group, you will work within a team of Designers, PMs and Engineers to help shape and build a flexible Canva API that enables 3rd Party Developers to contribute to and define new interactions in Canva including interactive widgets through to designing with data to ensure a successful public launch of the Canva API to 3rd Party developers in H1 2023.
You will help the API teams shape and set roadmaps and strategies for the future; using your design thinking and creativity to shape and inspire entirely new contextualised App experiences within Canva.
You will have the opportunity to transform the experience of building an App in Canva, developing UI patterns, templates and guidelines that empower developers at scale to truly meets the needs of our 1 Billion Canva users.
You will also have the opportunity to help lead part of the Product Design specialty to the next level, guiding and growing our designers. You’ll collaborate with our founders, Group Leaders and Product Leaders to ensure that the vision for an abundant Ecosystem within Canva becomes a reality. You’ll guide the processes for how the team works. Making sure everyone is supported and doing the best work of their lives.
- You have experience with creating design solutions that meet the needs of a two sided marketplace or platform; ideally you have prior experience with designing platforms to support 3rd Party Apps and integrations.
- You have an understanding of what drives a successful platform and can balance the trade offs between meeting the needs of both creators and consumers within the platform.
- You have a strong portfolio demonstrating your experience of tackling complex problems with simple elegant solutions that contribute UI components, interactions and guidelines within a scalable design system.
- You are a stickler for championing our design principles, pursuing simplicity and excellence in your craft whilst moving your teams from chaos to clarity.
- You have demonstrated experience as a Product Design Lead, UX Manager or Design Director directing strategy whilst being an empathetic leader who knows how to coach and foster a thriving and healthy design team.
- You have direct experience with collaborating and communicating with senior stakeholders, getting buy in and taking people on the journey with you.
- You have extensive experience working with Product Managers and Engineers on feasibility, detailed design and finding solutions to complex problems.
- You’ve got a good balance between big-picture thinking and nailing the details.
- You know how to prioritize ruthlessly and handle responsibilities for a wide number of projects – focusing your attention on the areas that matter most and taking ownership of deliverables and outcomes.
- You like to move quickly, and aren’t afraid of fast growth and rapid change. Canva is growing faster than you can imagine – which means solutions that worked 6 months ago might break. You’re up for that challenge!
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.