We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
Design @ Canva
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
Product Designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our Product Designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
As a Product Design Intern, you will learn from Canva’s Cofounders and designers to apply design thinking to real user problems. From day one, you will have an opportunity to be involved in every aspect of the product development process. You will have the opportunity to do meaningful work and build features and functionality that impacts millions of users around the world.
We'd love if it you:
- Are within 12 months of completing your bachelor’s, master’s or TAFE course in human-computer interaction (HCI), web design, computer science, software engineering, industrial or graphic design or a related field.
- Are ready to present a portfolio of personal projects and case studies from inside or outside the classroom showcasing strong visual design, interaction design or user experience with problem-solving orientation. Please provide in a zip file, along with your resume.
- Are able to articulate what makes a good product and why.
- Love to ideate, design, prototype, test, and rapidly iterate on components and systems for continual improvements.
- Have the ability to think at a high level about product strategy and vision (what we build, not just how it looks)
- Have experience in design tools (for example Sketch and InVision).
- Have strong problem-solving skills with balanced interaction and visual design skills.
- Have strong communication skills – you should be able to articulate your design decisions.
- Have the ability to give and receive constructive feedback on design work.
- Have experience in web and mobile application design.
This role is not eligible for immigration sponsorship.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.