We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
Research and Design at Canva
As a company with design so central to its DNA, our design teams play an integral part in the vision and success of our company. Our Product Design team across Sydney and Beijing is growing rapidly and needs a Design Researcher who will plan and conduct user research to generate actionable insights for a variety of projects and provide direction on Canva’s roadmap through design research. You will be primarily involved in the early phases of a project, ensuring the products and features we ship are solving real user problems.
About the group and team
The Print & Partnerships group is building the best creation tool in the world for print products and unleashing the power of Canva via print and digital partnerships (Canva for Partners) with the world’s leading organizations
Our group is doubling down on doing a wide range of new product initiatives focused on the workplace and collaboration, while building the foundations of a Print Marketplace to accelerate Canva’s vision to empower the world to truly design anything, and publish anywhere - We’ve seen incredible growth and we are rapidly scaling in this space, but there is a whole lot more to do to achieve our vision and so we are looking for a Researcher to join us and help propel us towards our mission.
About the candidate
As our Design Researcher, you will be an integral part of Print and Partnerships growth trajectory by driving projects with high strategic value. Focussing on qualitative insights, you will unlock insights for our Product Designers and stakeholders to use as inputs that continue to improve Canva’s product.
The ideal candidate is an all-around qualitative researcher with both planning, facilitation, and some design skills. This individual will thrive in a fast-paced work environment that requires strong problem-solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication.
You should have a passion for understanding and defining the needs and behaviors of customers, and for working with the product teams and key stakeholders to see your insights drive features that serve the needs of our users across our product and live up to our promise to empower the world to publish anywhere.
Goals you will achieve
- Settle in, learn the Print & Partnerships landscape at Canva and work with the team to start building foundational research pieces for the group
- Get insights on key user journeys, what’s the job that our customers are trying to do, and connect with the work we’re trying to in print and partnerships
- Help us define what type of customer should be the core of what we’re building for in Print and Partnerships
- Use insights to improve our Canva Print experience to boost creation and activation
- Work with the team to define the future of Print and Partnerships and live up to our promise to Publish Anywhere
- Conduct user research activities to create actionable, measurable product goals.
- Drive impact through multiple research methodologies and tools, including qualitative methods such as observation, contextual inquiry, individual interviews, group sessions.
- Ensure accountability to user insights and goals throughout the product development process and lifecycle.
- Nurture partnerships with Product Managers, Engineers, Data Scientists and our founders – based on their needs and priorities.
- Have a direct impact and work on your own research projects. Writing scripts, Recruiting participants, facilitating interviews and focus groups, gathering insights, and communicating them effectively across Canva.
- Ensure product designs are addressing real user needs. Assisting with strategy, and making sure the design insights are in line with the rest of Canva by collaborating across disciplines.
- Organize research brainstorms, internal research critique or any other process to nourish an insights-driven and user-led design space. Provide critical and constructive feedback and some design direction to designers.
- Coordinate effort to establish a more mature qualitative research design practice at Canva. Provide leadership on research techniques, communication and help ensure all Canva products stay user-focussed and solve real user pain.
- Ensure adherence to company standards across team members and/or projects. Contributing and helping build a data & user focus mindset to inform any design decision.
Experience you'll need
- 5 + years of research experience within a Product team
- Have experience mentoring other researchers to deliver on the strategy and build their key craft areas.
- A strong track-record clearly demonstrating how your research practices have positively impacted product delivery.
- Solid knowledge of research tools (Lookback, Fullstory, Usersnap, usertesting.com, etc )
- Experience researching business-to-customer needs.
- A strong grasp of recruiting relevant participants successfully.
- Experience in working with designers and product managers across multiple projects.
- Proven understanding in product delivery and design methodologies.
- Self-motivated and decisive.
- Ability to mentor and help designers become better researchers.
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively.
- Strong attention to detail, high-quality standards and process.
- Enthusiastic about learning and sharing with teammates.
- Ability to work on multiple projects at a time.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.