We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
At Canva, we’re transforming the way the world designs, and we need you to help us transform the way we use data to achieve that goal.
Our team has grown dramatically over the last few years. We’ve gone from a small start up to a large and diverse team across multiple offices around the world. In order to continue supporting Canva’s incredible growth as a product, we need to continue building up our amazing team, and that’s where you come in. We need you to join our analytics specialists, with a focus on understanding Canva’s operational people data.
Canva’s People Team has a big mission to build the most effective and engaged company in the world! Our success is finding, growing and empowering the best engineers, designers, product managers, growth marketers and operators to ship incredible products for our global design community. We’re looking for a data analyst to work closely with our People Team to define and produce key HR metrics, insights and workforce analyses, synthesize insights and partner on data driven people strategies across Canva. The person in this role should be highly data driven, technically astute, a solid communicator, intellectually curious, a fast learner, and able to move quickly while keeping focused on high impact projects with limited direction and supervision. >>
Our Data folk, who are embedded across the business, manage huge volumes of data in order to help our friends across the business make Canva run, scale and grow. This role will be embedded in Canva’s People team, but will also form a part of our Data team where you will also be joining a diverse group of people who really enjoy finding answers for the business, as well as uncovering opportunities that we didn’t know existed. The Data team can often be found chatting about the latest trends in data and how we can apply them at Canva.
We’re looking forward to growing both teams and gaining a range of new perspectives and ideas on how we can do things better.
- Help us understand our business - we want you to be creative and insightful, rather than just throwing the usual metrics at the wall to see what sticks
- Support your team to understand their performance by ensuring a connected and discoverable data ecosystem and building key reusable data assets
- Build and maintain dashboards that show meaningful business progress, make them look really good - you don’t need to be a designer or have any design talent, you just need to build visualisations that enable people to interpret the insights
- Use our giant databases to answer the sort of questions that sound really simple but turn out to be challenging (and fun!)
- Make complex data simple by building data models that make diverse data sources easy to work with
- Help us extend data literacy and curiosity throughout the whole company
- Work across all areas of the team to understand performance, identify and promote opportunities for our team to be even more effective at what they do
- You’ll pull together data from a number of tech platforms - recruitment, HRIS, payroll, finance, comp and workforce planning (among others) to provide strategic workforce insights and dashboards
- With your test & seek mindset you’ll play around with scenarios that relate to our workforce to pull out strategic opportunities across the business.
Required Skills & Experience
- Experience working with large real world data sets
- Strong competency with SQL; experience with big data SQL Query Engines like Snowflake, BigQuery, or Redshift is a plus
- Experience building connected data ecosystems across multiple off the shelf and cloud Data platforms such as Snowflake or BigQuery
- Experience across both highly integrated (Workday & Netsuite) ERPs and stand-alone best-of-breed platforms (eg: Lever, Pave, Enboarder)
- Experience defining reports and dashboards inside off the shelf software, as well as BI tools such as Looker or Tableau
- Experience building dashboards that effectively communicate results and outcomes
- A grounding in mathematics / statistics and a bachelor's degree in a STEM area is preferred; but not required
- Strong communication skills - verbal and written - be able to break down complex topics into simple solutions and ideas
- Experience wrangling and analyzing data using Python or R is a nice to have
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaching and Employee Support Programs
- Sponsored social clubs, team events and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate and qualified overseas individuals (see below for visa information)
The Canva workspace is set up for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, and quiet places to retreat.
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
If you require visa sponsorship, you must ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements laid out by the Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.