We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the group
The Content and Discovery super-group consists of 5 groups, 30+ teams and 200+ individuals who work together towards two common goals:
To bring every ingredient needed to create any design into Canva’s platform by working with a diverse range of template designers, illustrators, photographers and other content producers. This includes templates, photos, illustrations, videos, audio, graphics and more.
To surface this content strategically to maximise engagement in the Canva platform, and to surface this content selectively through Google to acquire new users searching for design and template solutions. This means building search and discovery features in the app, building SEO marketplaces and scaling these products internationally.
- Direct design on key template presentation projects
- Work closely with a vibrant and friendly creative team, directing design, photography and illustration. This is an opportunity to deliver a wide variety of creative campaigns, with freedom to influence design direction, and the chance to create elegant, on-trend designs every day.
- Build our internal team to meet business needs whilst inspiring and developing our talented freelancers to create high-quality designs.
- Manage your team in order to execute jobs successfully on deadline and to brief.
- Brief a design team to create beautiful and usable animated and static templates as this role will be specific to template design.
- Brief and manage the asset creation process with our internal and external sources of imagery, music tracks, video footage, stickers, and animations – so that we have the best assets to work with.
- Provide design feedback to team members with sensitivity and honesty, helping them to grow and develop their skills.
- Own curation and quality assurance for templates.
- Work closely with the team developing Canva’s our presentation product – and ensure that our templates evolve with and inform our features.
- Research competitors, trends, patterns and best-practises, visual/interaction design inspiration, user and business insights.
- Ensure our designers create with usability requirements in mind.
- Produce and integrate effective & efficient design practices.
- Support the team’s scalability through documentation and process improvement.
- 5+ years experience as a Senior Designer or Art Director creating a diverse range of digital designs.
- Experience leading a small team of designers, and providing professional support and development for junior and senior designers.
- A passion for writing simple and clear briefs, with demonstrated experience in commissioning photographers and other creatives.
- A strong portfolio demonstrating your passion for designing clean, elegant, and beautiful designs.
- The confidence to try new things, and a passion for big ideas and storytelling.
- The ability to brief illustrators, photographers and videographers to create beautiful and quality content.
- The ability to work collaboratively in a creative team environment.
- Diligence to hit deadlines, and offer suggestions to streamline and improve team processes.
- (Bonus) basic SEO understanding
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.