Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the team
This team builds one of the world's biggest free stock content sites, Pixabay. It serves tens of millions of monthly users over 2 million free images, videos, vectors and music. This content is ingested into Canva, available for everyone to use and supports Canva’s growing user base. We are looking at ways to redefine how content can be used and connected with Canva, and you will be a key player in helping to define the future. Our vision is to become the go-to destination for all free creative content. You will work on a variety of backend features and infrastructure projects with the small of backend and frontend engineers who enjoy extraordinary influence over the product's tech stack and direction.
What you'll do
- Working with designers and product managers to scope out new features, functionality, and technical requirements
- Participating in design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews
- Optimise backend performance for global scale
- Propose innovative approaches and solutions to ensure we future-proof product and features as we grow
- Passionately seek solutions to challenges with a scale and performance angle - be motivated by the idea of debugging, benchmarking, building exciting things, and picking up new technologies and skills as you grow
- Proven commercial software development experience writing high-performance production quality code in Python for large-scale global projects
- Broad knowledge of Cloud (AWS), Networking, and OS (Linux) concepts, services, and best practices
- Experience developing large scale web applications and portals - a background in ecommerce or other high-volume web portals would be beneficial
- Grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for leading both technical and non-technical conversations with colleagues
- Be self-motivated with an exceptional sense of ownership over sophisticated problems and their related solutions
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• Hybrid work model (in-office & from home)
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.