We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the role
As a Copywriter at Canva you will have the opportunity to contribute to one of the fastest-growing platforms in the world. Since launch in April 2013 we have grown exponentially, amassing over 20 million users in over 100 languages.
Canva’s mission is to “empower the world to design”. To achieve this, we need to hold a megaphone to our brand pillars and create world-class communications across every channel.
Your mission is to craft big ideas and powerful stories that embed our brand in culture, simplify and humanise our products, all while elevating our community. Your work will help to define Canva’s brand in the hearts and minds of people all over the world.
You’ll be ideating on anything from brand campaigns to product launches, and crafting creative that will live in broadcast, OOH, digital, social and more.
About the group and team
The Marketing & Engagement Group’s mission is for Canva “to become the most locally loved brand in the world”. We do this through brilliant creative, smart marketing strategy, brand governance, community insights and data analysis.
Our creative team, Marketing Creative, are responsible for making Canva famous via world-class marketing campaigns. We do this through cross-functional collaboration with teams in product, marketing and production, as well as our creative teams in brand and content. We also work with external agencies and production partners all over the world to bring our ideas to life.
What you’ll do
- Partner with an Art Director to concept campaign platforms, and multi-channel executions. Big ideas, compellingly brought to life.
- Produce flawless copy at pace. Work from ideation to execution across 360 campaigns (think TV scripts, OOH, Digital, Social & Radio executions) to standalone landing pages, emails, online education tutorials and other channels.
- Write, review and edit copy that’s adaptive and empathetic to every audience and product vertical: Enterprise, Education, Not-for-profit, Pro and Free.
- Collaborate with a talented team of designers, marketers, strategists, producers and other writers to create and publish on-brand content at high velocity.
- No word salads. You strike a balance between simplicity, clarity and playfulness.
- At least 7 years of experience as a copywriter, either agency or client side (In house).
- Strong understanding of brand marketing channels and best practices.
- A passion for innovative, blue sky ideation and a strong desire to make impactful campaigns that will help to build an iconic global brand.
- A great team player. Able to work in a dynamic multi-skilled agile environment.
- A master storyteller, able to sell the brand and its products to myriad demographics and personas with a consistent tone of voice.
- Attention to detail, style and tone. You write with clarity and empathy, and can write in a range of genres, styles and tones.
- A good grasp of English, sentence construction, and grammatical structure. And because less than 50% of our community is English speaking, you consider the needs of internationalisation in every word.
- You’re interested in learning about digital performance metrics and analytics, and how these can inform your craft.
- You bring others along for the ride. Set expectations with stakeholders, communicate openly across multiple teams, and collaborate with multiple creatives to get the job done.
- You’re comfortable with chaos. We’re growing at an exponential pace and as the Marketing Creative Team grows, there will continue to be shifts of roles and responsibilities. Flexibility will help you ride through change like a boss.
- You’re not precious. Open to giving and receiving feedback and can clearly articulate how copy can be improved.
You’ll love this role if
- You are passionate about making a difference to an emerging brand during a high-growth phase of maturation
- You can flip between “big picture” strategy and highly detailed work without jeopardizing the quality of either
- Collaboration is your middle name: you believe ideas can come from anywhere, and they can always be made better
- You work well under pressure and meet the deadlines that you or others set
- You are as excited about selling product as you are about doing good in the world via a values driven company
- You’re hungry for the opportunity to build an iconic, global brand
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.
We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to, in person or over Zoom. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our workspace is considered, to help you do the best work of your life. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that our community really love.
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.