We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
Canva is seeking a business-minded lawyer with a solid understanding of technology contracts who will take an entrepreneurial approach to help Canva grow its B2B presence in the EMEA region as Canva’s first commercial counsel in Europe. You will work closely with the Canva team and Canva’s European subsidiaries to define commercial contract structures; develop contract templates and processes; and negotiate agreements with customers, suppliers, and partners. You will join a dynamic global legal team working on a variety of innovative legal issues. You will be required to leverage your expertise, good judgement, and strong business sense to help us grow Canva in the EMEA region while assessing, mitigating, and advising on legal risk.
What you'll do:
- Review, draft, and negotiate commercial agreements with small to large customers, educational and government institutions, suppliers, and partners.
- Work with newly-acquired Canva subsidiaries to align contracting processes and templates with Canva’s standards.
- Respond promptly to legal requests from sales teams and other members of the business. Keep current on relevant industry standards, laws, and regulations, including data privacy laws.
- Improve and maintain contract management processes and written guidance for the sales teams
- Provide general legal guidance to the business.
What we are looking for:
- You have a strong technical background and significant hands-on experience in SaaS contracting at a rapidly growing technology company.
- You are excited to roll up your sleeves, learn the business and proactively identify and analyze opportunities and risks.
- You have excellent communication skills and can make complex communications simple.
- You are comfortable participating in cross-functional and internationally distributed teams.
- You are a pragmatic, business minded lawyer.
- You are risk aware, not risk averse.
- You are a collaborative team player with strong interpersonal skills and a collegial attitude.
- You are comfortable getting on the phone with counterparties in negotiations.
- You are able to prioritize and effectively set and balance expectations.
- Admission to one bar
- 6+ years practicing law
- Hands on in-house experience at a rapidly growing SaaS business.
We would love if you had:
- Knowledge and understanding of Canva and/or SaaS offerings
- Experience using contracting tools (e.g. Ironclad and Docusign)
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.