We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
The finance team’s mission is to protect and serve Canva and its key stakeholders; that is protecting Canva from external pressures and risks whilst balancing the need to best serve our teams. The vision is for Canva to be recognised and commended by its peers and stakeholders as having a world-class finance team.
As part of this team you will have the opportunity to:
1. Gain experience working at the headquarters of one of the world’s fastest-growing tech companies; your work will impact millions of Canva’s global users
2. Learn from and work with some of Australia's best talent, including Canva’s founders, engineers, product and growth professionals
3. Develop and grow in a team focussed on its customers
About team tax
We want to make tax painless (our crazy big goal!). Our mission is to modernise a traditional tax cost centre into “Tax-as-a-Service” to ‘protect and serve’ the business, the needs of our employees, our investors, global Government and Tax Authorities where we operate, and ultimately the users of Canva’s amazing product. Our guiding principle is to operate in a manner that reflects our core value of being a good global citizen. We want to do all this within a fun and engaging environment that promotes collaboration, forward thinking and continuous improvement, all whilst making tax as painless as possible.
As Canva continues on this exciting period of growth and traverses the ever increasing complexity of the US and international tax landscape, there is now a need to grow the tax function to include a tax manager with responsibilities across the Americas.
Reporting to the Head of Tax, you’ll have a passion for making the complex simple and deep expertise in US corporate income tax with extensive knowledge of taxation related to outbound investments and foreign reporting. You know what the term “GILTI” means and you want to make this easier to understand and comply with. You might say you can really put the US GAAP into our tax effect accounting processes and we couldn’t be happier!
This role will include ever evolving and complex tax laws requiring someone who loves to continuously update their knowledge and share that knowledge with others to build up expertise within the global tax function. We want you to help develop tax knowledge at all levels and enjoy giving and receiving feedback to keep things moving at a fast pace.
At Canva, change is frequent, you’ll be comfortable working in a hands-on, dynamic environment and have excellent communication skills.
Here is a snapshot to help you start imagining your future in this role:
Mission possible: You’ll bring an innovator’s mindset to developing and executing a strategy to monitor and manage Canva’s presence in the Americas to ensure its smooth global operation and truly make tax as painless as possible to support growth
Complex turned simple: You’ll be a force in Canva’s journey of adopting US GAAP and calculating and preparing accurate tax balances and disclosures
Be a force for good: You’ll become a trusted business partner, embodying our mission of “Tax as a Service” and helping play our part as good global citizens
What you'll do:
- Developing & executing a strategy to manage corporate income tax for the Americas region
- Providing expertise to global tax, corporate accounting and leadership around key Americas tax compliance for Canva’s scaling business
- Developing & maintaining Strategies to manage tax law changes and communicating these changes to key stakeholders in a timely manner
- Appropriate controls and processes to facilitate the successful (accurate and timely) completion and lodgement of Americas compliance.
- Continually refreshing global processes to optimise for accuracy & speed
- Ensuring Canva is audit ready - data is available / automated where possible and defence files are developed contemporaneously
- Providing training and development to key stakeholders
- Championing the implementation and use of technology to truly make the complex simple (and tax painless!)
- Operating as a valued advisor to key business segments (e.g. Leadership team and broader finance function)
- Providing ad-hoc tax advice to the Head of Tax, CFO and Directors around key strategic initiatives and growth into new markets.
- Working closely with Canva’s external tax service providers on tax related workstreams
We would love if you had:
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- Strong business acumen with problem-solving creativity and commercial judgement
- Highly organised with the ability to work under pressure and within set deadlines
- Exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills
- Self motivated with a desire to learn
- Experience working in the tech sector or an equally fast growing, ever-changing environment
- A keen eye for detail, a strong desire to keep learning and you enjoy upholding high standards of excellence and integrity in the services you deliver.
- Operating in a fast paced environment you are able to adapt quickly, manage workloads and meet deadlines with support and oversight.
- You have excellent communication skills and approach tasks with a problem solving attitude, with a constant lens of continuous improvement.
We get it, you have US tax expertise because maybe you’re based in the US. Yet, we are headquartered in Australia. Ideally, this role will be located in Australia near our headquarters for at least the first couple of years and we can experiment from there based on your needs and circumstances. Maybe you fall in love with our warm weather and gorgeous, accessible beaches so you decided to stay longer and maybe you don’t, that’s okay! We’re flexible and looking for a great candidate and can make all sorts of arrangements work in the long run.
If you are outside of Australia, we are keen to get you here on a temporary or permanent visa and if you already live in Australia (including temporary visa holders who need a new sponsor), awesome, given our new remote working policy, we are open to candidates who live outside of Sydney (Canva’s headquarters) and can meet in Sydney at least “twice per season” in order to capitalise on the benefits that in-person collaboration can have.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.