Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Group
This role sits within the wider Design Experience group with the sole focus to build powerful, yet simple tools that empower anyone to design anything. Within this group is the Editing Product team. Their mission is to make designing anything possible by expanding the capabilities of the editor with a solid front-end platform, far-reaching design tools, and entirely new products.
About the Role
We are looking to hire a technical leader that is close to the code and equally motivated to build and mentor an exceptional team of engineers to take the product to the next level, exploring new product capabilities. You will be in the thick of it - working across technical design, code architecture, engaging with multiple stakeholders and teams across the business while coaching your team to reach their own career growth goals along the way. Collaborate closely with Product, Design & Engineering Leads in delivering new products to our 85 million+ users.
You will be leading a scaling team with the opportunity to grow into a more senior position as the team grows, while delivering one of Canva's biggest goals!
What you'll do
- As a team lead, you will coach, mentor and be immediately responsible for up to 8 frontend engineers with a view to expand the scope of responsibility across multiple teams to meet the needs of the growing product
- Have a hands-on focus on technical problems, solving the most important problems, and guiding the team to deliver results - you aren't afraid to jump into the code when needed!
- Guide the team to deliver scalable and robust product features for Canva users around the world, with a focus on velocity and reliability
- Partner with the Product Manager to understand and contribute to the product roadmap, advocating for the Engineering perspective
- Foster a culture of collaboration across technical and non technical teams and across groups
- Set up and running ongoing feedback sessions and initiatives to drive a healthy code review culture, knowledge sharing, design showcases, and helping improve processes through retrospectives
- Own and drive the delivery of large, cross-team, and cross-group initiatives and projects from ideation
- Proven experience with people leadership, ideally leading scaling teams
- Excellent mentoring skills and experience growing other leaders within your team
- You will have delivered products that excite and delight users, and helping chart and engineering strategy towards that outcome
- Your coding proficiency will still be that of Senior Front End Engineer, however you will have found the love and passion for Coaching People and developing a culture that enables teams to be and do their best.
- You will be leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and inclusive culture
- Your excellent written and verbal communication skills will enable you to manage collaborators and communicate effectively across other groups.
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on complex, large-scale, online products that delight our millions of individual and business users alike all over the world - then apply now to be considered for the position!
We are remote first across Australia and New Zealand.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.