Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
Want to join Canva?
The Design Import team's mission is to 'import anything'. This includes supporting users in editing documents created using the common file types such as PDF, PowerPoint and many more. Our focus is to make it easy for our customers to bring their existing designs into Canva. We strive for high visual fidelity as well as excellent edit-ability on imported documents, and are constantly expanding the number of file formats that can be imported. Our contribution to Canva's success is to lower the bar of entry, and make Canva an easy to use alternative to expensive, heavy-weight desktop applications.
We are just getting started and will continue to support more and more file types into Canva to edit freely. To do this, we are in search for an experienced backend Software Engineering Manager to lead the team to achieve our crazy big goals, while supporting their career growth along the way. Equally, you will still be close to the tech, unafraid to actively contribute code for new formats!
What you'll do
- Work closely with the team’s technical lead, to ensure the team is on track to achieving their goals.
- Get into the details when needed, and build new features, such as improving the quality of existing import flows, and working on support for new file formats.
- Collaborate with the tech lead and Product Manager to give input in the roadmap.
- You will be responsible for 3-4 Canvanauts, and coach and mentor new engineering hires into the team to ensure their ongoing success through career growth conversations and regular check ins.
- Your team's success will be supported by setting up and running ongoing feedback sessions and initiatives.
- You will help drive a healthy code review culture, knowledge sharing, design showcases, and helping improve processes through retrospectives.
- Proven leadership and management experience, leading technical teams and delivering results
- You will understand the need to be Product Driven - understand the product life cycle, features, technical debt, QA, and supporting quality at speed. You will know when to push back in a thoughtful, collaborative way, shielding the team from disruptions.
- You will provide a safe environment that helps to bring clarity.
- You will be more than happy to work in our environment, and are familiar with Java, RDS.
- You are willing to dive into technical domains you are not familiar with yet, such as proprietary file formats and the concepts that come with them.
- Your excellent written and verbal communication skills will enable you to manage stakeholders and communicate effectively across other groups.
Open to Australian and New Zealand candidates.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.