Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
Want to join Canva?
About the team
The User Platform team is responsible for managing and authenticating users, groups and roles, preferences, avatars and much more. Our system is the backbone of Canva’s backend service architecture and offers exciting challenges around system design, reliability and performance. The team is committed to scale our platform according to our exponential user base growth, which currently sits at over 85 million monthly active users, and we are just getting started.
In User Platform we decompose existing services, we build up new ones from scratch and deeply care about software design. We constantly improve the way we get the most performance out of AWS resources and along the way we ship new features to improve the user experience for Enterprise and Education customers and their sophisticated organisational needs.
As a result of this growth, we are looking for a Software Engineering leader to manage a team of 5 backend engineers to evolve the User Platform to a scalable system of services that provide useful building blocks for our internal Canva teams.
What you'll do
- You will be directly responsible for a team of highly competent engineers and developing their skills through effective coaching and mentoring
- Provide technical leadership through code reviews, creating and reviewing design documents and not afraid to jump into the code when needed
- Your vision and expertise will influence technical strategy and provide supportive coaching to your team in a fast-paced innovation-focused environment
- Empower your team to deliver large-scale projects from ideation to completion within start-up time frames to develop new features and products.
- You will understand the need to experiment, measure and deploy or move on quickly
- Embed best practices into our development processes, helping improve processes through retrospectives
- You will collaborate with engineers, PMs and other Engineering Managers to ensure there is a focus on the core scalability and reliability of the platform
- Proven experience leading technical teams and delivering outcomes, ideally within a SaaS or high tech industry
- Solid coding proficiency in Java and backend systems, at the same level as that of a Senior Engineer
- Experience with authentication systems and/or user management would be highly desirable, though not crucial
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, with the ability to break large projects down into smaller ones and deliver on them through others.
- Good writing and verbal communication skills.
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
This is a phenomenal role for somebody who is early in the mentoring journey and wants to sharpen their leadership ability in a growing, innovation-focused environment. This role is remote-friendly across Australia and New Zealand - you don't have to live in Sydney to make a huge impact at Canva. Apply now to be considered!
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.