Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the team
The User Platform team is responsible for managing and authenticating users, groups and roles, preferences, avatars and much more. Our system is the backbone of Canva’s backend service architecture and offers exciting challenges around system design, reliability and performance. The team is committed to scale our platform according to our exponential user base growth.
In User Platform we decompose existing services, we build up new ones from scratch and deeply care about software design. We constantly improve the way we get the most performance out of AWS resources and along the way we ship new features to improve the user experience for Enterprise and Education customers and their sophisticated organisational needs.
Come join us on this exciting journey!
This role is open to remote applicants across ANZ!
- Envision, design, implement and maintain high performance backend service components that fuel Canva’s User Platform system
- Collaborate across teams to identify and own the solution for common User Platform issues; “Empower Others” is one of our core values
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and optimally advocate for engineering needs to non-technical team members within the group
- Own the services that we build and ensure smooth operation; we make use of industry standard monitoring and observability tools to make sure that we provide the most reliable and performant system possible to other Canva teams and our customers
Required Skills & Experience
- 5+ years of commercial experience developing complex, distributed web applications on the JVM; experience writing Java (experience with other JVM languages such as Scala, Kotlin, etc is a big plus - however, we primarily use Java 17)
- Extensive experience developing sophisticated, distributed web applications
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Good interpersonal skills. You are able to easily share your thoughts and ideas with the product team and discuss opportunities and risks in software design discussions.
- Comfortable with computer science and engineering fundamentals: concurrency, data structures, and distributed systems
- Disciplined coding practices, experience with code reviews and pull requests, and a creative and conceptual problem-solving approach as opposed to framework or library-focused; We strive to build fast and lean solutions; not library/framework-heavy patchwork
Nice to have; Not required!
- Experience working in large distributed cloud environments is a plus; We're hosted on AWS and leverage the tools they provide as much as possible
- Experience with RPC Frameworks, Finagle, Thrift or gRPC will be a huge plus, but not required; We strive to make sure that the communication layer is not a bottleneck, and simplifies the life of the product engineers as much as possible
- An understanding of resiliency techniques and patterns - load balancing, throttling, back pressure, circuit breaking, etc.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.