Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Group and the Team
The Developer Platform Group owns the coding life cycle at Canva – from ideas through to production. Our mission is “To forge a delightful ecosystem for engineers at Canva, amplifying their craft and enabling them to ship fast and correct. At scale.” We create an environment in which developers can do their best work.
You'll be joining the Language Ecosystem Team inside of our internal Developer Platform group which is responsible for making the engineering teams work better and faster. The Language Ecosystem Team's mission is to curate and shape the platform for a particular language. In this case, you will be responsible for the backend development which is based on Java.
This role is based in our Sydney office. However, it is remote-friendly for applicants physically based anywhere in Australia or in New Zealand.
We work closely with product engineering teams to understand their needs and build solutions to best meet them. Our ecosystem spans platforms such as Git, build systems, CI systems, and knowledge management systems. Our dream is to empower engineers with a world-class developer experience, so they can focus on meaningful tasks while being supported by a toolset they love and trust to leverage their creativity and problem-solving talents. We want engineers to feel delighted working at Canva, not just by our strong and vibrant culture, but because our platforms are a joy to use. We want them to feel like Formula 1 drivers, backed by the best technology and supported by a skilled Developer Platform pit crew, so they’re empowered to unleash their full potential.
- Work to improve/maintain internal developer experience platforms that empower engineers to work efficiently geared towards backend development which is based on Java.
- Design, build and optimise build frameworks to build and test a monorepo architecture.
- Work with product engineering teams to ensure best practices and tools are rolled out in every service across the whole organization.
- Participate in solution design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews
- Work across CI, Static Analysis Tooling, IDE Integration (Bazel) and other developer-related domains as necessary to ensure Canva’s engineering teams continue to scale with the demands of the product suite
- Own the development lifecycle (develop, build, test, deploy) for backend engineers at Canva, making sure that the JAVA experience is cohesive across the platform.
- Collaborate with product engineers and platform teams.
- Represent backend engineer needs in the platform teams, advocate for frontend engineers
Required Skills & Experience
- Extensive Experience with Java, Java testing frameworks and best practices
- Strong Computer Engineering / Science knowledge around fundamentals and first principles relating to concurrency, multithreading, data structures, architecture, and various design patterns
- Strong Object Oriented Programming fundamentals
- An understanding of the DevOps ecosystem concerning tooling, Continuous Delivery, Continuous Integration, Infrastructure as Code
- Be self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership over complex problems and their related solutions.
- Be capable of leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and engineering values.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), so while our offices are always open to you, we aim to come together for 8 days a year at minimum - balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.