Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Role:
The Design System Team works on big frontend problems like accessibility, theming, layouts, and curating the set of foundational base components that all frontend engineers use daily. You would help build the design system in a scalable and consistent way, keeping in mind users, designers, and developers alike. We’re opening up a new stream of work to improve adoption of the design system across core pages and experiences. You’ll get hands-on experience writing high-quality performant code to build the simplest best user experiences as well as promoting and advocating for this work to product teams through documentation on the migration process and engaging presentations. This role will be an exciting opportunity for an experienced engineer who knows how to both communicate well and design good components.
- "Gets" design or at least has some design sensibilities
- Able to work autonomously
- Strong communicator and stakeholder management (will need to work in conjunction with many other teams prioritising key components and guiding other teams on how to make consistent components that can be added to the design system)
- Ideally some experience working on design systems or maintaining components within a complex engineering environment
- Experience developing rich applications with HTML/CSS/JS
- Intimate knowledge of cross-browser and cross-device development
- Ability to write performant, accessible, reusable code for UI components, including appropriate testing
- Minimum three years experience
- Experience with SVGs
- An interest in interaction design
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), so while our offices are always open to you, we aim to come together for 8 days a year at minimum - balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.