Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 75 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 2,800 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
The Machine Learning Platform Team delivers machine learning solutions to Canva at scale. Our systems, frameworks and processes are used daily by ML Engineers to train, validate, deploy and monitor online inference services. We design, build and operate a platform that follows engineering best-practices and shortens the loop between early exploratory work in notebooks and shipping reliable models to production. Our platform is built using the latest technologies and cloud infrastructure.
We’re looking for a manager to join this team and help drive machine learning product development processes and infrastructure across Canva.
- Coach, mentor, and grow a team of engineers while developing your coaching capability to scale the team and meet the needs of the growing ML vision.
- Have a hands-on focus on technical problems, solving the most ambitious problems, and guiding the team to deliver results.
- Develop and deliver the long-term vision for accelerating delivery of robust, innovative machine learning.
- Drive planning and refinement of seasonal goals, ensuring there is alignment between the company, group, and teams.
- Drive the ML Platform team to move up the "data science pyramid of needs" and continue to navigate integration into the core infrastructure of Canva.
- Champion a culture of knowledge sharing and communication across engineering and effectively advocate for ML engineering needs to stakeholders within the Data group.
- Own and drive the delivery of large, cross-team, and cross-group initiatives and projects from ideation to completion, with autonomy and independence of decision making.
What you bring to the role!
- Experience with technical and people leadership - having previously led impactful teams where everyone is able to share their best ideas and be their best selves.
- Five-plus (5+) years of commercial experience designing and building complex, distributed ML systems.
- Experience working with a mainstream programming language. ML code is in Python at Canva, and backend services are in Java.
- Experience building and deploying machine learning models. Proven understanding of end-to-end machine learning pipelines and components.
- First principles thinking - use deep understanding of a problem space to make informed decisions. Even if these decisions are radically different from what others might be doing, Canva is a unique company, solving unique problems and this sometimes requires us to make bold decisions.
- A proven Computer Science/Engineering fundamentals understanding covering system design, data structures, architecture, and design patterns.
- A balance of strong technical and people leadership skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with the ability to break large projects down into smaller ones and deliver on them through others.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Nice to haves
- Experience and proficiency with AWS technologies (S3, EKS, SageMaker etc.)
- Experience working in a monorepo environment (Nix, Bazel)
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs, team events and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (see below for visa information)
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
If you require visa sponsorship, you must ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements
laid out by Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), so while our offices are always open to you, we aim to come together for 8 days a year at minimum - balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.