Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 75 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 2,800 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
Your journey with Canva could take you to places that you might not even imagined yet. There’s opportunity around every corner and the support to help you achieve your goals. Join us and design your future.
The Developer Platform Group owns the coding life cycle at Canva – from ideas through to production. Our mission is “To forge a delightful ecosystem for engineers at Canva, amplifying their craft and enabling them to ship fast and correct. At scale.” We create an environment in which developers can do their best work.
We work closely with product engineering teams to understand their needs and build solutions to best meet them. Our ecosystem spans platforms such as Git, build systems, CI systems, and knowledge management systems.
Our dream is to empower engineers with a world-class developer experience, so they can focus on meaningful tasks while being supported by a toolset they love and trust to demonstrate their creativity and problem-solving talents. We want engineers to feel delighted working at Canva, not just by our exceptional and vibrant culture, but because our platforms are a joy to use. We want them to feel like Formula 1 drivers, backed by the best technology and supported by a skilled Developer Platform pit crew, so they’re empowered to unleash their full potential.
You'll be joining Developer Environment group, in the Securing Supply Chain team. The Team's mission is “To provide secure, hermetic and coherent management of the engineering supply chain across all environments and all Canva languages and technologies.” The team is in charge of making sure the supply chain is secure and safe and developers can focus on their tasks, making sure developers can move fast and efficiently.
As the leader of the team, you will be working closely with engineers and product managers to understand their issues to unblock them and improve their effectiveness. Your day-to-day work includes crafting our frameworks to be as efficient as possible which will include researching third-party testing tools and developing in-house solutions.
The role will be a mix of hands-on technical direction and software development and people leadership so you will still be able to get your hands dirty in the code.
What you'll do:
- Design, build, and optimise testing frameworks to increase developer productivity
- Promote/evangelize an exceptional testing culture throughout the organization
- Drive technical strategy and leadership to your team in a innovation-focused environment
- Develop and grow a team of 5 to 8 Canvanauts (software engineers) through effective hiring, coaching, succession planning, and retention strategies
- Set up and run ongoing feedback sessions, initiatives to help drive a healthy code review culture, knowledge sharing, design showcases, and helping improve processes through retrospectives.
What you'll bring:
- Excellent Computer Engineering / Science knowledge around fundamentals and first principles relating to: concurrency, multithreading, data structures, architecture, and various design patterns
- Proven Object Oriented Programming fundamentals
- An understanding of the DevOps ecosystem concerning tooling, Continuous Delivery, Continuous Integration, Infrastructure as Code
- Excellent knowledge of frontend, backend and mobile testing principles at all levels of testing (unit, integration, end-to-end)
- Automation experience with Selenium and Appium
- Performance testing: stress and load testing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; excellent soft skills managing both technical and non-technical collaborators
- Be self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership over complex problems and their related solutions
- Be capable of leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and engineering values.
This role is based in Sydney, open to remote applicants within Australia, and qualifies for interstate relocation for those who wish to work from Sydney HQ.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), so while our offices are always open to you, we aim to come together for 8 days a year at minimum - balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.