Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 75 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 2,800 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Design Experience Super Group
The Design Experience Super Group’s mission is to build powerful, yet simple tools, that empower anyone to design anything. We work together to deliver key products and an excellent editing experience, with the features our users need that scale as our product becomes more complex.
As a growing Supergroup, comprised of 6 groups and 200+ people, Design Experience is critical to the company's mission of empowering everyone to design anything. Think of us as the groups building what the user "touches" when using Canva. The groups within Design Experience are very product and engineering-driven, including Video, Presentations, Editing Product, Editing Platform, Client Platform, and Photo Editor.
The Design Experience Super Group builds everything from the creation of videos, presentations, and other design types in Canva -- to visioning the future of AI editing.
About the Role
Due to incredible product growth and the demand for exciting new features and functionality that will elevate the user experience to new heights, we're seeking to hire a technical leader that is close to the code but motivated by building high-functioning teams and world-class products.
We are seeking someone who wants to be in the thick of it - working across technical design, code architecture, hiring, engagement with key stakeholders across the business, and professional growth and development of the people they lead.
What you will do!
- As a team lead, you will coach, mentor, and grow a team of engineers while developing your coaching capability to scale the team and meet the needs of the growing photo editing vision.
- As a technical lead, you will have a hands-on focus on technical problems, solving the most ambitious problems, and guiding the team to deliver results.
- As an experienced engineer, you will help the team deliver scalable and robust product features to the core Design Experience for Canva users around the world.
- You will work closely with the Product Manager to understand and contribute to the product roadmap.
- You will drive the planning and refinement of seasonal goals, ensuring there is alignment between the company, group, and teams.
- You will foster a culture of collaboration and advocate for the engineering needs of non-technical collaborators within the group.
- You will own and drive the delivery of large, cross-team, and cross-group initiatives and projects from ideation to completion, with autonomy and independence of decision making.
What you bring!
- Previous experience in technical people leadership or mentorship of junior engineers.
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- Previous experience in working collaboratively with team members and communicating effectively.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to break large projects down into smaller ones and deliver on them through others.
- Good writing and verbal communication skills.
This is a phenomenal role for somebody who is early in the mentoring journey and wants to sharpen their leadership ability in a growing, innovation-focused environment. This role is remote-friendly across Australia and New Zealand - you don't have to live in Sydney to make a huge impact at Canva. Apply now to be considered!
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey. Hybrid work model (in-office & from home) coming together for 8 days a year.
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.