Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 75 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 2,800 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the role of a Product Designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
You will be joining the Design Specialty, leading a team of 70+ and driving the vision for the entire Product Design roadmap at Canva. Our Product Design team is critical to the on-going success of Canva. We understand our community needs; envision the future; and drive the most simple design solutions that integrate across our entire product. The team is over eighty-strong, made up of a diverse and creative thinking of Product Designers, Content Designers, Creative Technologists, Design Researchers and DesignOps. As Canva has grown, we have created a prodigious, world-class Product Design team that is obsessed with our mission to empower the world to design.
Product Design spans across every commercial and product delivery Group at Canva, working collaboratively with Product Managers and Engineers. Every Product Designer at Canva meaningfully contributes to the mission and foundation goals of Canva across MAU and revenue growth.
- You are a strong Product Design visionary, executor, and team-builder. You’ve already got a track record to back it up.
- You weigh up every line in the Product Design that you lead. You have a passion for the power that simplicity plays in making products powerful and accessible.
- You have a high bar for everything your team ships, believing that every last detail is important and collectively makes a difference to the user experience.
- You have a knack for seeing where Product Design can converge across the whole product, rallying them to an integrated storyline that shows the future.
- You’re empathetic, flexible, and fallible. You listen actively and always seek to understand. However, people always know where you stand.
- You know that the best teams are diverse and inclusive. You’re driven to create something special, to really make a difference in what a great design team looks like.
- You’re an active communicator. Your written communication provides clarity in moments of chaos. Your verbal communication inspires and rallies others.
- You’re super autonomous. You show real ownership and accountability in everything you undertake, showing leadership through real commitment.
- You approach things with an open mindset. You’re curious to know about Canva - you take what you’ve learned and combine that with the Canva context to envision the future of design.
- You embody Canva’s values - you care deeply about the impact that you make, the people that surround you vs climbing the career ladder.
Goals you’ll achieve
- You’ll envision the future of Product Design at Canva. Working with the Head of Design and Product Design Group Leads, collaboratively defining what the next two years looks like for the Product Design Specialty. Including People, Process, Strategy, Communication and Community.
- You’ll drive simplicity across our whole product. Working with our Founders and senior Product Delivery leaders, you will have a birds-eye view of the entire end-to-end Canva user experience, and you’ll drive a cohesive, clear vision for the Product Design team.
- You’ll ensure the quality of our design is world-class. We have a very high bar for design quality at Canva, and you’ll be instrumental in keeping it there. You’ll be involved with key feature design decisions and ensuring they are as simple and clear as possible for our users.
What you'll do
- Lead a talented, diverse, and inclusive team of Product Designers that consistently deliver amazing user experiences across Canva.
- Set the interaction design, UI, and UX standards for the entire Canva product; ensuring a high-quality bar for everything we release.
- Show the future of the Canva product by galvanizing the Product Design Leads towards a compelling, convergent user experience.
- Sustain our existing culture of design simplicity. Ensuring that each new feature added, each new product launched is simple, elegant, and usable.
- Clearly communicate future design directions with key stakeholders including Group Leads, Design Leaders, and Founders.
- Partner closely with Product Specialty Leads, Engineering Specialty Leads, and Founders to shape the product roadmap, both short-term and long-term.
- Plan for future design resourcing needs with the Head of Design and Product Design Leads.
- Help provide clarity to the Product Design Specialty through clear articulation of vision, strategy.
- Grow a culture of design feedback to team members with sensitivity and honesty, helping them to grow and develop their skills.
- Research competitors, trends, patterns and best-practices, UX design inspiration, user and business insights
- Drive the team’s scalability through documentation and continual process improvement and leadership.
Experience you’ll need
- Multiple years of experience as a VP of Product Design, Product Design Director or Head of Product Design, directing strategy and design across a large team.
- Experience scaling a product design team. Including senior people management, team development, recruiting and organizational building experience.
- Direct experience with collaborating and communicating with senior stakeholders
- Strong design coaching experience - you know how to make an impact through empowering, growing, and motivating other designers.
- A track record of tackling complex problems and delivering simple, elegant solutions. You hold a high bar for designing clean, elegant, and usable designs.
- Deep understanding of how to uncover user needs through research and user empathy.
- Extensive experience working with Engineers on feasibility, detailed design and finding solutions to complex problems.
- Experience working with Brand Designers, Graphic Designers and strong empathy for graphic design and its impact on business results.
- A strong sense of design ethics - understanding that the design decisions we make at Canva impact millions of lives, everyday.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.
We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for full-time Canvanauts include:
• Competitive health benefits plans to support you and your wellbeing
• Equity packages truly be a part of the Canva journey 401(k) retirement plan with company contribution to support you, with your future Hybrid work model (in-office & from home) coming together for 8 days a year
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.