Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We mean it when we say we want to create a diverse and inclusive workplace where we value all different types of experiences and want to create a space and culture where you feel like you belong.
We know it can be a tricky time applying for roles, wondering if the role is right for you and if you and your experience are right for the role too. Many people won’t apply for roles unless they feel that they tick every single box. At Canva we look for many different skills and abilities and we’re always looking for how new team members can add to Canva and our culture. So if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 75 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 2,800 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Be a Force for Good
We’re driven by our values, with our ‘Be a Force for Good’ value supporting everything that we do. Through your work on our product or team, and our community initiatives and sustainability programs, you’re given the opportunity to come to Canva and make a tangible difference to the lives of others in your day-to-day life. In addition to our Founder’s 30% Pledge, Canva is committed to Pledge 1% and actively encourages our team to participate in many ways, including taking paid volunteer leave.
Your journey with Canva could take you to places that you might not have even imagined yet. There’s opportunity around every corner and the support to help you achieve your goals. Join us and design your future.
About the Role
Want to be responsible for the engine that powers most of Canva’s web pages? The Pages Platform team gives tools that enable Canvanauts to build great landing pages without sweating. Our tools help with many disciplines involved in developing great pages, such as accessibility, content, data, experimentation, localization, monitoring, SEO, performance, etc.
We have set some large and ambitious goals, and are seeking an Engineering Lead with a solid front-end focus, with some infrastructure knowledge to help our teams continue to deliver the next generation of automation and tooling to power Canva's pages.
The role will be a mix of 50% hands-on technical leadership and 50% people leadership so you will still be able to get your hands dirty in code, design documents, and architectural specs.
What you'll do!
- You will be instrumental in driving design, development, and deployment of software solutions that improve efficiency in the process of creating and maintaining web pages.
- Your vision and expertise will influence technical strategy and provide supportive coaching to your team in a fast-paced innovation-focused environment
- You will successfully empower your team to deliver large-scale projects from ideation to completion within start-up time frames to develop new features and products.
- By focusing on the human element of coaching you will promote a safe and healthy culture with a focus on collaboration and open communication
- You will immediately be responsible for a team of 6/7 Canvanauts with a view to expanding the scope of responsibility across multiple teams.
- You will understand the need to experiment, measure and deploy or move on quickly
- You will help embed best practices into our development processes, drive a healthy code and design doc review culture, knowledge sharing, design showcases, and help improve processes through retrospectives
- You will collaborate with engineers, PMs, and Growth managers to find out how we can improve their experience and make their lives easier.
What you'll bring to the role!
- You have discovered that you have a rare talent for motivating people - having previously led high-performing teams
- You will know when you need to push back, shielding the team from disruptions and helping to bring clarity
- Your coding proficiency will still be strong - on par with an experienced Front End Engineer, however you will have found the love and passion for Coaching People and developing a culture that enables teams to be their best
- Your excellent written and verbal communication skills will enable you to manage stakeholders and communicate effectively across other groups
- You will have the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds and with different professional and personal needs
- You will be leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and inclusive culture
Nice to haves! Not required!
- Good understanding of how a browser rendering engine works.
- Good understanding of CI/CD systems (scripts, repositories, building agents, etc.).
- Good understanding of building systems (e.g. compilers, transpilers, and dependency managers), including Bazel, NPM/Yarn, and Webpack
- Good understanding of testing at scale (the role of unit, integration, visual, end of end in large systems)
- Familiarity with React and its most common design patterns
- Familiarity with Typescript and MobX
- Familiarity with HTTP/SSL, edge, and proxy systems (e.g. Cloudflare and Nginx)
- Familiarity with logging and monitoring tools (Datadog, Kibana, and Sentry)
- Familiarity with Buildkite, Docker, and Github
This role is open to remote applicants within Australia and New Zealand that do not need visa sponsorship. We will require occasional travel to Sydney once it is reasonable to do so.
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on complex, large-scale, online products that delight our millions of individual and business users alike all over the world - then apply now to be considered for the position!
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and together we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, we recognise that every single person is unique and our Canvanaut benefits aim to ensure we cater for all.
Our benefits include:
• Our hybrid work model (in-office & from home) brings our people together for 8 key days a year. The rest of the year you and your team can determine the balance that works best for you.
• Unique and flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• An inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey to support work-life balance.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development. It could be anything, from a Masterclass subscription, to an electronic stand-up desk, a pilates membership, or dinner out with a teammate. Because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• We have virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs, Fitness Classes and other benefits to support your physical, mental, and social wellbeing.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.