Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We mean it when we say we want to create a diverse and inclusive workplace where we value all different types of experiences and want to create a space and culture where you feel like you belong.
We know it can be a tricky time applying for roles, wondering if the role is right for you and if you and your experience are right for the role too. Many people won’t apply for roles unless they feel that they tick every single box. At Canva we look for many different skills and abilities and we’re always looking for how new team members can add to Canva and our culture. So if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 75 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 2,800 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Be a Force for Good
We’re driven by our values, with our ‘Be a Force for Good’ value supporting everything that we do. Through your work on our product or team, and our community initiatives and sustainability programs, you’re given the opportunity to come to Canva and make a tangible difference to the lives of others in your day-to-day life. In addition to our Founder’s 30% Pledge, Canva is committed to Pledge 1% and actively encourages our team to participate in many ways, including taking paid volunteer leave.
Your journey with Canva could take you to places that you might not have even imagined yet. There’s opportunity around every corner and the support to help you achieve your goals. Join us and design your future.
About the role
Canva is looking for an experienced Regulatory, Compliance & Government Affairs Counsel to be part of our highly motivated, tight-knit, and collaborative global Legal team. This role will be the first regulatory and compliance specialist to join the Canva team. You will be responsible for ensuring our business operations and procedures are consistent with our values and comply with legal regulations and policies around the world. As such you will be integral to keeping Canva informed of, and in compliance with, new laws and regulations applicable to our business.
This is a full-time position and will ideally be located in our Sydney office, but we are open to considering hybrid or remote working arrangements within Australia, California or Texas.
What you'll do
- Conduct comprehensive business risk assessments to identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk; develop and implement risk mitigation and corrective action plans for areas of heightened risk; and provide training on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future.
- Provide strategic advice to Canva on regulatory and compliance matters, including relating to anti-corruption (FCPA, UKBA and other regimes), prevention of modern slavery, vendor and supply chain management, global trade compliance and export controls.
- Design and implement Canva group-wide compliance programs and related policies and be responsible for their ongoing implementation, management and improvement.
- Partner with our Head of Public Policy and Government Affairs to develop and implement Canva’s public policy and government affairs initiatives, comment on pending legislation and shape external thought leadership.
- Provide support to the Canva Foundation on compliance-related matters.
- Ensure that complaints and alleged violations of law, rules and regulations are being appropriately identified, evaluated, investigated and resolved in a timely and effective manner
- Regularly assess the efficiency of control systems and recommend effective improvements.
- Collaborate with our product and privacy counsel team to provide guidance on product launches, security, data and privacy-related matters.
What we're looking for
- Experienced gained from a global in-house organisation, preferably within the tech industry, although we'll also consider candidates from other in-house environments and law firms
- You have a strong technical background and hands on experience partnering with cross-functional teams on a broad range of regulatory and compliance matters.
- You are a skilled communicator and have confidence and experience translating legal concepts into solutions, to make complex things simple
- Experience building and participating in compliance management systems, including performing compliance risk assessments and regulatory compliance reviews.
- Ability to effectively frame issues to drive critical thinking and execution.
Being a Force for good
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and together we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, we recognise that every single person is unique and our Canvanaut benefits aim to ensure we cater for all.
Our benefits include:
• Our hybrid work model (in-office & from home) brings our people together for 8 key days a year. The rest of the year you and your team can determine the balance that works best for you.
• Unique and flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• An inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey to support work-life balance.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development. It could be anything, from a Masterclass subscription, to an electronic stand-up desk, a pilates membership, or dinner out with a teammate. Because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• We have virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs, Fitness Classes and other benefits to support your physical, mental, and social wellbeing.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.