We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 75 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the team!
Canva Print is an essential part of the Canva user experience with "Publish Anywhere" as a core mission pillar. The vision for Canva Print is to scale up Print into a global Marketplace that enables all Canva users to Design and Print anything, anywhere. And we mean literally anything, anywhere. Our ambition is thousands of products that, over time, will include 3D printing of architectural models or large-scale billboards, or an haute couture fashion line. And accessible no matter where you are... with a strong focus on ethical and environmentally-friendly practices.
Within Canva today, Canva Print is made up of 70 people spread between Australia, the Philippines, and the United States. The engineering team is 35 predominantly based in Sydney and Melbourne, and growing rapidly. The group has an emphasis on large scale system design as they build out a global print network. This is an emerging area within Canva that presents the opportunity for a dynamic engineer to support the team to build out major new areas of activity, sustain and improve on the delight of the Print service, and add meaningfully to Canva’s overall success.
- Building tools and frameworks that help us rapidly and reliably conduct experiments across different parts of the Canva app
- Design, develop and deploy solutions and hands-on software development – working closely with leads, designers, and product managers to deliver features and experiments to our customers worldwide
- Work collaboratively and consult with leads, product managers, and engineers across teams at Canva to unblock front-end works that help your group deliver features and experiments to our customers worldwide
- Communicate effectively with Product Managers and Engineers across Canva when developing a solution; seeks and incorporates diverse perspectives to address complex issues
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and effectively advocate for engineering needs to non-technical stakeholders within the group
- Models initiative and ownership in achieving goals, improving processes and solutions
- Identifies opportunities for cross-team collaboration to work on new ideas and improvements that help achieving our goals
Required Experiences & Skills:
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns
- Working collaboratively with team members and communicating effectively
- Experience with TypeScript (or other typed languages), React, MobX (or other state management libraries)
- Ability to write performant, reusable code for UI components, including appropriate testing
- Good writing and verbal communication skills
Nice to have:
- Experience in A/B testing and Experiment Driven Development
- Experience and knowledge of cross-browser and cross-device development
- Experience developing Java backend
- Experience developing ecommerce or online retail flows
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.