We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 75 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the team
Flourish is the world’s leading data storytelling platform. It enables anyone to create beautiful graphics and interactive stories without coding. Since its launch in 2018, more than 750,000 registered users have produced around 10 million graphics, which have racked up more than 20 billion views. Our customers range from leading newsrooms and corporations to NGOs, universities and government departments all over the world.
Flourish was recently acquired by Canva to empower the world to tell stories with data. Our team, mostly based in London, will continue growing Flourish as a separate product while also adding more data storytelling features natively in Canva.
What you'll do
- Maintain standards for web performance, security and accessibility
- Help ensure Flourish remains stable and robust for its large global user base
- Develop new features for Flourish, using modern web technologies
- Build automated tests and improve the observability of the codebase
- Pair-program and review code
- Help improve the way we work and the tools we use
This is a thoroughly hands-on development role: most of your time will be spent working with code. But you will also mentor and potentially manage other engineers and work closely with the product team.
This role is mostly focused on the Flourish platform rather than the visualization templates, which are developed separately.
What we're looking for
- You are an experienced engineer who enjoys working collaboratively and loves to learn new things. You care deeply about the quality of your work and are thoughtful about how to improve both what you’re doing and how the team works together. You’re happy to adopt existing conventions of the codebase.
- Importantly, you’re excited by Flourish and the opportunity to make it better. You’re a friendly colleague and you work well in a close-knit team.
Required skills and experience
- A deep understanding of the web platform
- At least five years experience as a backend or full-stack engineer
- Competence with command-line Linux and shell scripting
- Good SQL skills
- Be comfortable using Git for version control, and understand why clear history matters
- Familiarity with working practices such as test-driven development, continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Experience in agile methodologies
- Awareness of security best practices for web applications
Bonus points if you have experience working with
- AWS (S3, EC2, IAM, etc)
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible hours and a hybrid working model which values work-life balance
- Our very own Canva University, internal coaching and Employee Support Programs to help you be your best
- Generous holiday entitlement plus flexible leave options so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development
- An annual Vibe & Thrive Allowance for you to spend as you choose on personal education, wellbeing, home office and social connection
- Virtual and in-office clubs, events and celebrations
- Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in
- Support for family and carers including a parental leave policy that prioritises inclusivity, recognising the diverse representations of modern families and supporting work-life balance.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.