We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the role and team
As the Global Head of Communications, you’ll lead a rapidly growing team, tasked with building engaging communications across public relations, corporate communications and internal communications that bring our unique culture, mission and values to life. You’ll be an integral part of our Marketing leadership team, working closely with peers across brand marketing, creative, growth marketing and more to drive awareness, adoption and affinity across our 65+ million users.
In this role, we’re looking for a strategic thinker who can tackle ambiguous problems, and bring definition and clarity to develop our global communications plans.
You’ll understand our core audiences (knowledge workers, small businesses, students, teachers, designers & content creators, and consumers) and build actionable communications plans across PR (product, consumer and B2B), corporate communications, internal communications, public policy, investor relations and more to drive awareness and engagement across all of these audiences.
You’ll bring global experience, and be able to help build a team across our offices in Sydney and San Francisco, and expand through local hiring in regional hubs, as well as establishing impactful agency partnerships to ensure a strong local voice in our ~30 priority markets for next year.
You have exceptional written, visual and verbal communication skills, the ability to manage complex stakeholder environments and a passion for rallying people around a single unified plan.
Reporting into the Chief Marketing officer, you’ll lead and build teams across PR and communications to drive impact in dozens of markets globally and manage a multi-million dollar global budget.
The key to your success at Canva will be the ability to drive cross-company collaboration and influence key decisions, bringing internal and external stakeholders on a journey to realise a world class communications strategy. The successful candidate will be a key contributor to Canva’s global mission to empower the whole world to design and do the most good possible.
We're open to hiring this role on the West Coast in the US as well as Australia.
What you’ll do
- Strategic leadership
- Develops long term Communications strategies and objectives; proactively identifies gaps and opportunities
- Partner closely with functions across marketing including Consumer & Business Marketing, Product Marketing, International Marketing, as well as business units like Business & Education, Content & Discovery, Print & Ecosystem, and People and Finance, to align on strategic objectives and goals
- Develop a clear strategy for our global PR & communications programs ensuring alignment with marketing objectives and broader company mission
- Work closely with brand marketing and product marketing to build upon our broader campaigns and audience strategies, tailoring programs and tactics to reach our business and education audiences
- Manages complex decisions and problems, uses high judgement and expertise to mitigate risks created by complexity and make trade offs to ensure the right outcomes
- International Growth
- Work closely with the Head of International Marketing to build out a scalable approach to communications across our 10-15 global priority markets
- Hire across central, regional and local teams and build highly aligned and empowered teams to drive impact
- Evolve roles and responsibilities and ways of working across teams to ensure efficiency and impact
- Communications Marketing Budget
- Own management of the Communications marketing budget, working closely with Finance and the other functional team leads
- Determine the right mix of investment across audiences, channels and markets to drive outcomes
- Cross Functional Collaboration
- Work closely with Brand Marketing, Content/Creative, Media, Performance, Lifecycle, Partnerships, Product Marketing, International Marketing, etc.
- Organisation Leadership
- Leads an organisation of multiple layers (and specialties) with team members in multiple geographies
- Able to set a vision, design a strategy, and align the organisation on the achievement of goals/priorities
- Uses expertise to design team structures to meet long term business goals
- Ensures the right people are in the right roles, creates growth and development opportunities, and builds highly effective and engaged teams
- Creates a culture that embodies Canva’s values. Builds diverse and inclusive teams and focuses on team member wellbeing
What we're looking for
- You have 15 + years experience in Communications
- 8+ years experience leading global communications teams
- You have aligned and led global teams with detailed written and visual communications
- You are able to grow, inspire and coach high performing teams
- You have navigated complex stakeholder environments to drive tangible business outcomes
- Experience working across both B2B and B2C, and managing functions including corporate communications, PR, policy, government relations etc.
- Strong at planning, organizing, prioritizing, and executing simultaneous projects
- A self-starter with tenacity for execution and delivery and scalability
Being a Force for good. One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.