We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the team
You will be joining Canva's Brand Marketing team with a big mission to build the most loved brand in the world through world-class marketing programs that showcase the values and products of Canva through the lens of our community. Our team's success is based on leveraging research and insights that allow us to design groundbreaking creative that connects with the audience in the right place at the right time and creates a lasting impression.
About the role
As the Global Brand Strategist for Canva, you will sit on the brand marketing leadership team and play a key role in helping shape the way the entire world perceives Canva. You’ll help build a brand that communicates our purpose, defines perception and awareness globally, and puts a spotlight on our diverse community.
We are looking for a passionate and experienced Brand Strategist to join our Brand Marketing team. As our first Brand Strategist, you will partner with our Brand Marketing and Creative leaders to develop, evolve and deliver world-class global brand strategy for Canva. We are responsible for championing a consistent and human brand, and evolving it over time as we learn, grow, and pursue excellence in branding. You will be part of the greater Canva marketing team and will work cross-functionally to put in place strategy frameworks, briefs, and standards to help guide the greater team towards unified messaging across the marketing calendar-- from our global brand campaigns to our seasonal activations and product launches.
You’re a master at cutting through the complexity to deliver implementable strategies that drive business growth against our key marketing objectives. Your role will cover brand positioning, value propositions, naming, brand architecture, key messaging, quant & qual research analysis, communication strategies, and of course, crafting inspirational creative briefs.
What you'll do
- You will partner with Brand Marketing and Creative Leadership team to develop Canva’s brand strategy for our key markets, globally.
- You will own brand positioning and messaging; driving awareness, consideration, and relevancy while creating a seamless on-brand experience for our customers.
- Use market, customer, and brand research to help develop strategies that translate into innovative campaigns to meet our marketing objectives.
- Develop inspiring and insights-driven creative briefs to help provide fertile creative territories for effective concept development.
- Generate compelling insights from research and communicate them in a way the business can both understand and drive action from.
- Collaborate with internal teams to develop and refresh product propositions, new products, key insights, target audiences selection, key segments, and personas.
- Work closely with local creatives in key markets and transcreation specialists to define and scale brand strategies to our local markets.
What we're looking for
- You have 9+ years at agency or internal brand creative team leading the development of global strategies for brand, products, and services.
- You have a wealth of B2C marketing experience that is essential to the execution of this role. An additional B2B marketing experience is valued.
- You have demonstrated experience leading strategies for global campaigns within a similar scale of operation and growth.
- You’re comfortable with chaos. You can find solutions even without perfect precedents or direction, and map out a path to clarity and execution. You can work out ways to achieve the impossible and ride through change like a boss.
- You’re eager to learn and evolve. From creative craft to leadership skills to market trends – you never stop pushing into the next big challenge. You work alongside people who are better than you at some things. To you, this isn’t a threat, but an inspiring opportunity to learn and grow.
- You think and act as We, not Me. We’re all in this together. You love nothing more than to collaborate and build trusted relationships with your team, ensuring everyone is empowered to do the best work of their life and having the best time doing it.
- Right brain, left brain. Your head is in the clouds while your feet are on the ground. You balance creative and strategic excellence, flipping between big picture thinking and pixel-perfect craft without jeopardizing the quality of either.
- You’re a fantastic communicator. Your communication skills help you work cross-functionally with other teams. You brainstorm concepts and facilitate workshops. You give and receive constructive feedback and can clearly articulate how creative work can be improved, mentoring others to deliver their best work.
- You have a bias for action. You’re happy to roll up your sleeves and muck in. No task is too small (or big!) if it helps the team around you to be more effective, and rallies them to achieve their goals faster.
- Always striving for your best. You’re a talented creative with amazing design chops, yet you never stop pursuing excellence in yourself and in your work.
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Free Yoga membership
- Professional education allowance
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided for interstate candidates
Being a Force for good. One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.