We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
Who is the User Voice group?
Our Vision is “Every user empowered, every voice heard”. User Voice is our critical interface to our most valuable partners, our users. We want to ensure that they have a flawless experience while using Canva products as we scale our way to support 1 billion users. User Voice is responsible for customer happiness and their ability to get help, as well as providing clear insights to improve user experiences.
About the Assistant team
The team is responsible for improving the assistant experience: the help widget that you find on the bottom of your screen when you navigate on Canva - think about it as a future Jarvis. Providing our users the help they need at the right time on the right product.
This is an emerging area within Canva that presents the opportunity for a dynamic engineering leader to support and grow the team.
What you will be doing?
- You will help to support, build, and scale the “Assistant” product to the next level of growth (helping 1 Billion users)
- Comfortable to work across the entire stack with strong focus on Front End (React, MobX, HTML, CSS, Typescript).
- Project Delivery and Agile Methodologies will be the stepping stones of your successful delivery
- Supported by the Product Teams you will build strong relationships and work closely with the product.
Excitement and Need!
- Lead a newly created team. The team is expected to keep growing.
- The assistant product incorporates all sorts of content, you'll be involved and meet with many stakeholders and other teams across Canva
- The team is fully staffed with PM, designers and engineers
- Build a product that is on the homepage and on the editor. It is visible and used by ALL Canva users around the world
- Transform how users think and interact with our products, have huge impact on retention and learning
Key skills and experience
- Collaborative: The team you will be leading works closely with teams outside the group (education, personalisation).
- An interest in the product subspecialty to act as a sounding board for our PM counterpart
- Ability to build trust with coachees
- 3+ years leading a team of software engineers
- Experience building high-performing and collaborative teams. A healthy balance of strong technical and people leadership skills
- Strong customer focus to understand the use cases and requirements of our customers.
- Ability to lead by example; promote Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and engineering values.
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team in Sydney HQ
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaching and Employee Support Programs
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
This role is open to remote applicants within Australia that do not need visa sponsorship. We will require occasional travel to Sydney up to three times per quarter, once it is safe to do so. The Canva workspace is set up for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, and quiet places to retreat.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.