We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.About the Product Design team
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.About The Design Experience Team
The Design Experience team at Canva is on a mission to build powerful, yet simple tools that empower anyone to design anything. We work on the core editing components and tools that people around the world use to design everything from social media graphics, to documents, to videos and more.
Pursuing our mission not only supports our existing user base, but we believe will also empower people from around the globe to find and use Canva for the first time; Contributing directly to our company-critical Monthly Active User targets.
Goals you’ll achieve
- You'll audit the current design experience across devices and identify opportunities for improvement and quick wins.
- You'll design and ship your first measurable improvement for the Canva editor, increasing monthly active users.
- You'll help to shape roadmap priorities for the team.
- You'll develop a long-term design vision for one of Canva’s product verticals.
- You'll build really strong relationships with stakeholders across the business to ensure alignment with parallel initiatives that impact the core editing experience e.g. Editing of Videos, Presentations, Text, Vectors etc.
What you’ll do
- You’ll plan and manage your own workload and design process; Effectively resolving any competing priorities and overcoming roadblocks.
- You’ll coordinate with other Product Designers and teams to produce design solutions that are cohesive and consistent within the Canva UI.
- You’ll start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution
- As a product designer on the team you will carry out: research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products.
- You will advocate for users and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis.
- You’ll visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with users.
- You’ll rapidly iterate through different design solutions; bucking convention in favour of progressive ideas.
Experience you'll have
- A portfolio that demonstrates experience in product thinking where you have previously shipped UX/UI design for digital products.
- You'll have really strong interaction design skills and you'll love coming up with innovative solutions.
- You are a designer that is constantly inspired—motivating those around you through your passion and drive for what you do.
- You are excited by regularly coming up with new ideas, shipping new products and features that address your users’ real needs.
- You shine through your designs—creating user flows and wireframes that simplify user interactions
- You are eager to visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with users.
- You thrive in a collaborative workplace; partnering with other designers, engineers, product developers and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You appreciate big picture thinking. While details are everything, creating an experience that always keeps our users in mind is equally as important.
- You are a problem solver that’s excited by a challenge. You enjoy sitting in a room and whiteboarding ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You are an empathetic user advocate that values the backing of research and data analysis when it comes to designing modern solutions.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work. We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love. Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.