We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.About the team you’ll be joining
The Design Experience team at Canva is on a mission to build powerful, yet simple tools that empower anyone to design anything. We work on the core editing components and tools that people around the world use to design everything from social media graphics, to documents, to videos and more.
Pursuing our mission not only supports our existing user base, but we believe will also empower people from around the globe to find and use Canva for the first time; Contributing directly to our company-critical Monthly Active User targets.About the Research Specialty
As a Lead Design Researcher, you will be an integral part of Canva’s growth trajectory by driving projects with high strategic value and working on design research relating to Canva’s core editing experience. You will unlock insights for our Product Designers and stakeholders to use as inputs that continue to improve Canva’s product.
The ideal candidate is an all-around qualitative researcher with both planning, facilitation, and some design skills. This individual will thrive in a fast-paced work environment that requires strong problem-solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication.
You should have a passion for understanding and defining the needs and behaviours of customers, and for working with product teams and key stakeholders to see your insights drive features that serve the needs of our users across our product, and live up to our promise to empower the world to design anything.
Goals you’ll achieve
- Build relationships with the Design Research team, and within the Design Experience Group
- Identify and conduct the highest impact research projects for the Design Experience Group.
- Establish ways of working within the Experience Group as their first dedicated Researcher.
- Collaborate closely with Group Leads (PM and Product Designers), help the team apply your insights, lead workshops, etc.
- You’ll help the other researchers deepen in their craft via informal mentorship and setting an example with your work
- You’ll partner with the Head of Design Research and become a thought partner in developing team strategy
- By end of 6 months, you’ll have created a research roadmap based on the Design Experience Group’s strategy and needs
- After being with Canva for 3-6 months, you’ll start to coach 1-2 researchers
- You’ll continue to conduct research for Design Experience Group, based on needs you identified
What you’ll do
- Work with Group Leads (Design, PM, Engineering) to prioritize what will be most impactful to learn each season
- Conduct foundational, qualitative research and help your group to apply your research findings
- Become a subject matter expert for your area; Get involved in vision workshops, setting the strategic direction for the Design Experience group.
- (As available) empower other designers and PMs to conduct research that you’re not able to (e.g. usability testing)
- Support and manage other researchers at Canva through 1:1 coaching, looking after their formal performance reviews and helping them to plan their career growth
- Be a role model for the quality of research work we strive for at Canva; Help build a positive culture, ensure the team is growing in their craft
- Partner with other researchers to define strategy and priorities for the Research specialty at Canva, and work towards those priorities
- Own specific team projects , based on a) your interests and skills b) what the team needs. For example:
- Cross-cutting research about Canva’s user base
- Innovative experiences to bring our insights to life (e.g. in-office exhibits, Customer Week, etc.)
- Building relationships with other specialties (PMM, data, i18n)
- Ensuring responsible/ethical research
- Knowledge management / research repository
- Democratizing research efforts, teaching other PMs and designers how to conduct quality research
What we’re looking for
- We’re looking for a self-motivated and decisive researcher to lead research for the Design Experience group at Canva. You need a strong track-record, clearly demonstrating how your research practices have positively impacted product delivery. As well as experience in leading and coaching others. Here’s the skills and attributes we’re looking for:
- Solid knowledge of research tools (Lookback, Fullstory, Usersnap, usertesting.com, etc).
- Experience researching business-to-customer needs.
- A strong grasp of recruiting relevant participants successfully.
- Experience in working with designers and product managers across multiple projects.
- Experience in coaching or managing others, helping them to grow and develop.
- Ability to mentor and help designers become better researchers.
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively.
- Strong attention to detail, high-quality standards and process.
- Enthusiastic about learning and sharing with teammates.
- Ability to work on multiple projects at a time.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.
We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.