We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.About the role and team
As the Head of Market Research & Insights, you will work to answer some of the most challenging questions we have about our market, competitors and customers. Our insights folks manage huge volumes of data in order to help our marketing teams build a distinctive brand with compelling marketing, social, community and communications activity. We are looking for someone with a holistic set of methodological insights and the ability to credibly persuade and influence.
Reporting into the CMO, you’ll be leading a multidisciplinary team where you can use your background in qualitative and quantitative research to combine with work from our data analysts. Together, these forms of research will help you craft strong insights and research projects which help the business understand our customers and competitors better and market to the right audiences, with the right messages and tactics. You will impact the business by ensuring that those around you have a better understanding of our customer’s needs and can act upon those insights.
What you'll do:
- You will also be working collaboratively across the business with Product, Sales, Content & Design, User Voice, and Global Services.
- Understand the needs and experiences of our own customer base (B2B and B2C), building audience segmentation, and drive insights that reflect the state of our customers, competitors, partners, and trends in the market overall. You’ll inspire interest in deeply understanding our customers, what motivates them to use our product and how to build customer experiences that drive higher satisfaction, ongoing engagement, and retention.
- Understanding the broader market and competitor landscape, our brand territory and positioning, honing our audience propositions and working with our product, performance, social media, community, and brand marketing teams to develop test, and track our brand health, campaign strategy, and plans.
- You’ll be able to develop core frameworks, methodologies, databases, and reporting solutions to support internal decision making and answer critical business questions. Leveraging the power of Canva’s data and systems, in combination with qualitative and quantitative research, to generate hypotheses and plans for high-impact research.
- Provide leadership on research techniques, communication and help ensure all Canva products stay user-focused and solve real user pain. Help us extend data literacy and curiosity throughout the whole company.
- You’ll be able to determine optimal mixed qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, and utilize internal data, insights as well as external vendors to support Canva’s research agenda. To drive impact through multiple research methodologies and tools, including qualitative methods such as observation, contextual inquiry, individual interviews, group sessions.
- You’ll be able to employ consistent qualitative and quantitative methods to yield comprehensive answers to research questions. Enabling standards for validity and reliability, whilst encouraging creativity and experimentation with research designs and tools.
- To establish a more mature research design practice at Canva, you’ll build and lead a team with insight, research, data analytics capability and learning, and the ability to cross-pollinate learnings to provide robust and deeper actionable insights to better enable our teams across the business. Building collaborative relationships with cross-functional stakeholders, allowing us to connect the dots with research being conducted for the various teams around the business.
- Produce highly actionable and authoritative insights that impact our growth initiatives and product strategy while balancing business requirements and user needs.
What we're looking for:
- 8-10+ years of experience in market research and insights roles leading quantitative and qualitative primary research that delivers business results.
- Experience working across B2B and B2C businesses is ideal.
- Leadership experience in managing research teams working with a range of Product, Sales, Customer Support, and Marketing teams.
- An innovator who is willing to roll up the sleeves and get into the weeds.
- Highly collaborative, effective partner who can influence through smart, thoughtful communication and execution.
- Extraordinary communication and storytelling skills with experience across all levels; skilled at addressing both large and small audiences across multiple leadership levels and functions.
- Able to break down complex topics into simple solutions, ideas, and actionable outcomes.
- Experience influencing and earning the trust of senior stakeholders and moving business teams to take action.
- Proven experience in end-to-end research and user-centered design methods.
- Deep domain expertise for Market Research & Insights with a mix of Qualitative & Quantitative Research Experience + Media Effectiveness.
- Familiarity with Mixed Media Modelling would be an advantage but is not a pre-requisite.
- Experience in managing customer panels.
- Competitive salary
- Equity in one of the world's fastest growing companies
- Flexible working hours (we value work-life balance!)
- Professional education allowance.
- Generous leave policies (sick days, holiday leave, parental leave, volunteer days)
- 401(k) Program
- Work with our growing teams in either San Francisco, Los Angeles, or Sydney (interstate or international relocation support is available)
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked #1 Best Place to Work. We ensure that the Canva workspace is set-up for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, quiet places to retreat and do your best work! We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at:
https://instagram.com/canvavibe/ If you're a passionate marketing professional seeking a truly challenging opportunity with one of the world's premier technology companies - then apply now!
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.