We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.Product Design at Canva
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design. Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.About the group you’ll be joining
The Pro Suite group is on a mission to make Canva Pro the end-to-end marketing tool of choice for small to medium businesses everywhere. We want to help businesses—from side hustles and solo entrepreneurs to professional marketers and agency teams—to improve the quality and consistency of their designs, to be more productive, to reach and expand their audience, and ultimately grow their business.
Pro Suite group is critical to the success of Canva as they're responsible for the entire product direction of Canva Pro, our primary paid subscription and Canva’s #1 revenue driver. Recent examples of products that Pro Suite have shipped include Content Planner, a tool for scheduling social media posts, Analytics, a tool for understanding the impact of published and shared designs, and Canva Sites, our amazingly simple website builder that enables anyone to create and publish a responsive landing page in minutes.About the role
In this role, you'll collaborate with our founders, Product, Engineering and Group Leads, with Researchers, Product and Content Designers, to create and evolve a compelling vision for Canva Pro as the greatest value for money product that our users subscribe to, and has a profound impact on their business’s growth.You'll guide the processes for how the team works—helping the team set roadmaps and strategies for the future. You'll also need to ensure all the Pro Suite designers are supported and doing the best work. Your communication skills empower you to inspire your teams to dream and achieve crazy big goals. This is an amazing opportunity to lead and grow a talented Product Design team in an environment that rewards initiative, creativity, and independence.
Goals you’ll achieve
- Understand the Canva product, our premium subscriptions, our customers and our 2022 company strategy;
- Partner with your Product Lead to evolve the Pro Suite group’s strategies to align for the greatest impact on company strategies and goals;
- Work with Data and Research to identify opportunities for product experience improvements based on user insights aligned with our business strategies;
- Take ownership of the cadences and rituals that guide the Pro Suite design team and contribute to the Product Design team culture more broadly.
- Take on responsibility for coaching product designers in your group to help them set personal goals that progress them on their growth journey;
- Drive the evolution of a compelling product vision for Canva Pro that unites and motivates the Pro Suite group;
- Guide the teams within the Pro Suite group to set goals and execute on a roadmap that brings the product vision to life and into our customers' hands.
What you’ll do
- Leading Product Design projects across one of Canva’s commercial groups.
- Collaborate with Product Managers and Engineering Leads to make sure you’re prioritising the most important features.
- Clearly communicate future design directions with key stakeholders including Group Leads, Design Leaders and Founders.
- Plan for future design resourcing needs with the Head of Design.
- Help provide clarity to your design team through clear articulation of vision, strategy.
- Provide design feedback to team members with sensitivity and honesty, helping them to grow and develop their skills.
- Work closely with the Growth team responsible for maximising the impact of the products shipped by your group.
- Research competitors, trends, patterns and best-practises, UX design inspiration, user and business insights.
- Ensure our designers always design to our high standards of simplicity and usability.
- Produce and integrate effective & efficient design practices.
- Support the team’s scalability through documentation and process improvement.
Experience you'll have
- Experience as a Product Design Lead, UX Manager or Design Director, directing strategy and design across a team.
- Direct experience with collaborating and communicating with senior stakeholders.
- Strong design coaching experience - you know how to make an impact through empowering, growing and motivating other designers.
- A track-record of tackling complex problems and delivering simple, elegant solutions. You hold a high-bar for designing clean, elegant, and usable designs.
- Deep understanding of how to uncover user needs through research and user empathy.
- Extensive experience working with Engineers on feasibility, detailed design and finding solutions to complex problems.
- Experience working with Brand Designers, Graphic Designers and a strong empathy for graphic design and its impact on business results.
- A strong sense of design ethics - understanding that the design decisions we make at Canva impact millions of lives, everyday.
- A portfolio that demonstrates experience in product thinking where you have previously shipped UX/UI design for digital products.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalifeBeing a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.