We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.Canva’s intuitive suite of design tools is built by an amazing team of engineers, designers, and product specialists from all over the world. As the features and services of our product suite expand, we’re setting some large and ambitious goals and thus we are are seeking Technical Leads to ensure that our engineering teams continue to deliver value to our customers.The role will be a mix of 50% hands-on technical hands-on development and 50% coaching so you will still be able to get your hands dirty in the code. This role is based in Sydney, open to remote applicants within Australia, and qualifies for interstate relocation for those who wish to work from Sydney HQ.
- You will need to be 50% Hands-on design, development, and deployment of software solutions
- You will need to create space for 50% Coaching and Stakeholder ManagementYour experience driving technical strategy and providing support to your team in a fast-paced innovation-focused environment.
- Your expertise in Multiple stakeholder management across different groups is critical to the success of this role. The ability to communicate effectively and influence outcomes is essential to your success
- Proven and demonstrable experience in your previous roles driving delivery of large-scale projects from ideation to completion within start-up time frames to develop new features and products will be required.
- You will be responsible for the development and growth of a team of 5 to 8 Canvanauts through effective hiring, coaching, succession planning, and retention strategies
- Your inspiration enable your teams to innovate, invent, implement and deploy complex software solutions in a complex distributed and mission-critical environment
- You will support and encourage a safe and healthy culture with a focus on collaboration and open communication
- You will successfully coach teams by setting up and running ongoing feedback sessions, initiatives to help drive a healthy code review culture, knowledge sharing, design showcases, and helping improve processes through retrospectives
Required Skills and Experience
- You will bring with you prior experience with technical and people coaching skills - having previously led small high-performing teams.
- Your coding proficiency and previous experience as a software engineer with a specialisation in frontend will lead the way in design and development with your team.
- You will be familiar with large-scale software delivery in cloud-based environments
- Success in your role will be dependant on your exemplary written and verbal communication skills; with the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds and with different professional and personal needs
- Your enthusiasm for experimentation and measurement is a critical part of the process. If the experiment works deploy - deploy - deploy - If the experiment does not work be quick to close it down and move on.
- You will have demonstrable product and commercial acumen
- You will empower others and lead by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and inclusive culture
Perks and Benefits:
This role is open to remote applicants within Australia that do not need visa sponsorship. We will require occasional travel to Sydney up to three times per quarter, once it is safe to do so. The Canva workspace is set up for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, and quiet places to retreat.If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on complex, large-scale, online products that delight our millions of individual and business users alike all over the world - then apply now to be considered for the position! We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team in Sydney HQ
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showersGenerous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaching and Employee Support ProgramsSponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.