We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.About the Team Core Data is a new team we are building in Canva whose main mission is to take the data persistence mission to the next level. Not only provisioning and configuring resources as per the best of the practices but also be absolute experts in the technologies we most frequently leverage in Canva. They do that by contributing to the application layer (owning the technology libraries/services used for common operations, like access, sharding and abstractions) and dropping into service teams as consultants to help with modelling and performance optimisations, etc.We expect the team to have a mix of skillsets but the strongest representation will be of Software Engineers who will be solving a multitude of problems with code. We need them to be comfortable with the fundamentals of database internals (data structures, threading, etc).
- Design and implement processes, tools, automation, services and libraries that internal engineering teams will use and rely on to fulfill their missions efficiently and reliably
- Own the lifecycle of datastores at Canva. From provisioning to configuration for performance, disaster-readiness and beyond
- Be a contact point and subject matter expert with respect to our Data Persistence layer and specific technologies
- Develop infrastructure solutions with scalability, high-availability, and security in mind
- Collaborate with other teams across Canva to work out the best solutions to their persistence problems
- Propose and contribute to new approaches and solutions to ensure we future-proof Canva's distributed cloud infrastructure as we continue scaling globally
- Participate in solution design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews
Required Experience and Background
- Commercial experience working with and developing complex, distributed applications
- Deep understanding of the fundamentals of databases and persistence of data
- Extensive experience using, abstracting and optimising data stores. Extra points if experienced with MongoDB, Redis or MySQL
- Experience working with a mainstream programming language such as Java or Python
- Experience building reliable and durable systems and/or strong knowledge of Google SRE
- Disciplined coding practices, experience with code reviews and pull requests and a creative and conceptual problem solving approach
- Strong communication and team collaboration skills. You will be expected to share the knowledge, communicate and coordinate changes across multiple teams
- Experience working with infrastructure as code
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.