We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.About the Product Design team
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design. Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.About the Interactive Apps team
The Interactive Apps team within the Ecosystem group are on a mission to empower 3rd party developers to create interactive ingredients that meet every collaboration and communication need.
To do this we are building flexible API’s that unlock Developer access to build new interactive Apps within our Canva editor. We believe a flexible API is fundamental towards our strategy for creating an abundant ecosystem that tailors Canva for 1 billion delighted users; driving Canva’s MAU growth. About the roleOur team of engineers have begun building the foundations to our API and will be looking to work with developers over the course of Autumn and beyond to shape the API for our public launch in Spring 2022. As we open up Canva to 3rd Party developers we need a full time product designer who can work closely with our Engineers and our 3rd Party developers to help shape the way 3rd Party apps are experienced by our customers. This will involve close collaboration with our Canva Design System team to define existing and new components developers whilst ensuring App experiences work alongside Canva UX existing core patterns and emerging core features.
Goals you'll achieve:
- Audit the existing Canva Apps experience to identify existing pain points, gaps and opportunities.
- Conduct listening tours with our Developer Experience team and any developer partners we engage with to understand what developers need in an API to build magical Interactive App experiences.
- Collaborate closely with our Developer Experience team and Design System team to define the set of components and UX guidelines we can provide developers at our targeted public launch in 2022 to set 3rd Party developers up for success.
- Shape the vision for the future of how developers build valuable apps on top of the core Canva experience.
- Collaborate with other teams in the Ecosystem supergroup to create a seamless App experience, from App discovery through to usage for interactive Apps.
- Collaborate closely with other designers, engineers & product developers to identify areas of opportunity to drive the creation of valuable Apps and integrations by 3rd party developers
What you'll do
- You’ll start from the very early stages: ensuring you are tackling the right problem, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution
- As a product designer on the team you will carry out: research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products.
- You will advocate for users and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis.
- You’ll create user flows and wireframes and define new components that simplify the production of Apps and how customers interact with them.
- You’ll create flowcharts, and journey maps to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva Apps.
- You’ll visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with both developers and customers.
- You’ll rapidly iterate through different design solutions; bucking convention in favour of progressive ideas.
- You’ll partner with other designers, engineers, product developers and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You’ll solve complex problems and whiteboard ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You are able to understand the different trade-offs and align design solutions to Canva business goals. Activities include: writing well-balanced Strat docs; providing different design options to show trade-offs; creating hypotheses and experiments focussing on revenue and MAU growth with the ability to apply industry trends to Canva scenarios and designs.
Experience you'll have
- You have experience with creating designs solutions that meet the needs of a two sided marketplace or platform.
- You have an understanding of what drives a successful platform and can balance the trade offs between meeting the needs of all customers within the platform.
- You have a portfolio with strong demonstrated experience in developing new UI components and interactions to form a robust design system.
- You are a designer that is constantly inspired—motivating those around you through your passion and drive for what you do.
- You are excited by regularly coming up with new ideas, shipping new products and features that address your users’ real needs.
- You shine through your designs—creating user flows and wireframes that simplify user interactions
- You are eager to visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with users.
- You thrive in a collaborative workplace; partnering with other designers, engineers, product developers and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You appreciate big-picture thinking. While details are everything, creating an experience that always keeps our users in mind is equally as important.
- You are a problem solver that’s excited by a challenge. You enjoy sitting in a room and whiteboarding ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You are an empathetic user advocate that values the backing of research and data analysis when it comes to designing modern solutions.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalifeBeing a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.