We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.Canva’s intuitive suite of design tools is built by an amazing team of engineers, designers, and product specialists from all over the world. As the features and services of our product suite expand, we’re setting some large and ambitious goals and thus -- are seeking Technical Leads to ensure that our engineering teams continue to deliver value to our customers.
Required Skills and Experience
- You will bring with you prior experience with technical and people coaching skills - having previously led small high-performing teams in a product driven environment.
- You will be the Technical Leader for 3 Front End Engineers and 1 Back End Engineer
- Your coding proficiency and previous experience as a software engineer with a specialisation in frontend will lead the way in design and development with your team.
- You will be responsible for project deliverables and goals, providing estimates and working closely with the Product Manager.
- You will be at home working in our core technology environment - our core stack is: Microservices, Java backend, with React / Typescript front end.
- You will be familiar with large-scale software delivery in cloud-based environmentsSuccess in your role will be dependant on your exemplary written and verbal communication skills; with the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds and with different professional and personal needs in a highly collaborative environment
- Your enthusiasm for experimentation and measurement is a critical part of the process. If the experiment works deploy - deploy - deploy - otherwise be quick to close it down and move on.
- You will have demonstrable product and commercial acumenYou will empower others and lead by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and inclusive culture
- You will still be very hands on with strong Front End Engineering capability to deliver and have significant technological impact.
- You will be working on user facing features that impact Canva users everyday as they Publish their designs (a user facing feature)
- Your team focuses on UX experiments and personalisation of features.
- Your team of engineers have various tenure and industry experience, offering a diverse range of coaching challenges.
- You will have ample opportunities to make significant hands-on contributions.
Perks and benefits:
This role is open to remote applicants within Australia that do not need visa sponsorship. We will require occasional travel to Sydney up to three times per quarter, once it is safe to do so.
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team in Sydney HQ
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showersGenerous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly officesInternal Coaching and Employee Support ProgramsSponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.