We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.At Canva, we’re all constantly striving towards our Crazy Big Goals! As the features and services of our product suite evolve, we’re setting some large and ambitious goals. We need to be able to earn the trust of the Canva Community by delivering secure and stable services without sacrificing speed and scale of delivery, which is where our Security Data Analysts come in. As a Security Data Analyst, it is your mission to analyse and interpret our security data to support Security Group decision making. You will analyse security vulnerability, configuration, log, and incident data to generate insights, quantify inputs to information security risk frameworks, and to measure the impact of changes to security controls. This work will directly influence how the Security Group prioritises its roadmap.You will also support security engineers with data analysis during security incidents and as part of threat detection engineering.The Security Group is responsible for protecting Canva systems and data from information security threats. Our teams work together, and with other groups, to deliver preventive and detective controls and processes that reduce security risk. The group runs programs across Identity and Access Management, Application Security, Risk Management, and Threat Detection and Response domains.
What you'll be doing
- Help us understand how effective our security controls and programs are – we want you to be creative and insightful, leading the group’s thinking on how to measure our services
- Analyse and interpret our security data, so that we can identify and adjust to new trends
- Build and maintain dashboards for our security teams that tell a visual story, and make them look really good – you don’t need to be a designer or have any design talent, you just need to want to build things that look cool
- Produce data-driven projections for security, financial, and operational metrics, and refine those projections over time to improve accuracy
- Work with product managers, engineers, and others, to figure out what data we should collect, and how we should collect it
- Ensure that our data is robust and faithfully represents what we intended to measure
- Mentor and train future analysts as they join the team at Canva
- Use our mathematical, analytical, and statistical methods with our giant databases to answer the sort of questions that sound really simple but turn out to be extremely challenging (and fun!)
Required Skills & Experience
- Strong competency with SQL; experience with data warehouses such as Snowflake, Redshift, or AWS Athena/Glue/S3
- Experience with large, real-world data sets
- Experience wrangling and analysing data using Python or R
- Basic working knowledge of information security concepts and data sets such as vulnerability data, security incident data, system configuration data, and security event logs
- Experience defining reports and dashboards inside off the shelf software, as well as BI tools such as Looker or Tableau
- Experience building dashboards that effectively communicate results and outcomes
- Strong communication skills - verbal and written - be able to break down complex topics into simple solutions and ideas. Stakeholder management skills are vital in this role.
Beneficial skills (nice to have, not required)
- A grounding in mathematics / statistics and/or a bachelor's degree in a STEM areaExperience with very large data sets
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Free Yoga membership
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices including a garden, climbing wall, unisex toilets
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided for interstate or overseas candidates
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
If you're a passionate data analyst seeking a truly challenging opportunity with one of the world's premier technology companies, then apply now
to start the discussion with us!We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.