We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.Content Design at CanvaWe're on a mission to help our users fulfill their goals with clarity and joy.
We’re looking to achieve this by building an amazing team with a culture of clear and crisp writing. Our focus is on systems, not just sentences. We create and improve flows, not just the words. We seek to have deep impact on key areas, not just shallow impact everywhere.
Content Design is a small and growing part of our Design specialty. Canva sees content as a crucial part of its ongoing success – and we’re really focused on improving our content experience. We have a fun, human voice that we want to do a better job of getting across to our users, instead of, you know, “generic UX writing” voice. We’re passionate about working together to create the future of Content Design at Canva; it’s not a top-down approach. Your opinion matters! You’ll also get lots of support from the diverse content team across the business. As soon as you arrive, we’ll be saying “Thank goodness you’re here!”
The content design specialty collaborates closely with PMs, Designers, Engineers and Design Researchers to identify solutions that prioritize our users’ needs.About the group you'll be joining
The Design Experience group builds so much of what makes Canva magical.
They build the editor itself – the place where millions of people have discovered that they don’t need a degree or expensive software to make a brilliant design. Then there’s our Presentations experience – transforming something that used to be boring into a visually engaging experience. And there’s our Video tool, which brings all the ease of use of Canva to video creation.Goals you’ll achieve
- Element pricing clarity – find a way to minimise confusion and decision paralysis over the cost of elements, by devising a better labelling solution - Audit the Editor including the Video and Presentations experiences and tackle low-hanging fruit for Content Design - Toolbar and side menu content improvements and Information Architecture - Build processes within the Design Experience group to set up Content Designers for success, and identify next hires - Onboard and lead a junior to mid-weight team of content designers - Support the Accessibility team in their goals - Create scalable consistency in the Video and Presentations products
What you’ll do
- Content Design: You’ll use your writing skills and User Experience principles to craft UX copy that helps Canva users to collaborate without the headaches. You’ll also work with the rest of the Content Design team to solve problems we’re all facing, so we can continue to build a robust, thriving specialty.
- Leadership & team building: You’ll be helping support and scale our growing Content Design specialty. Together with the head of Content Design, you’ll be identifying the next roles within your group, hiring and coaching them. You’ll be collaborating with and supporting other coaches within the specialty.
- Strategy: You’ll be creating a scalable approach to Content Design in the Editor, so that we can add all the awesome features our users desire – without overcomplicating things.
- Results: Your frictionless and friendly copy isn’t just for show – it’ll move the needle on the metrics that matter at Canva.
- Collaboration: You’ll bring design, PMs, engineers and researchers together to find the best solutions for our users.
What we’re looking for
- You’re a lead Content Designer who’s got a proven track record of solving complex problems, ideally in the tech/SaaS industry. This means you have at least 3-5 years of content design or UX writing experience.
- You’re an empathetic leader who knows what makes a happy, healthy team – and has an idea or two about how to scale good content design.
- You have incredible writing chops and an impressive content design portfolio, and are a stickler for brand voice, consistency and style.
- You know how to work independently, but you also love collaborating with people from different disciplines and sharing the power of content design.
- You’ve got a good balance between big-picture thinking and nailing the details.
- You’re not afraid of complex problems – in fact, that’s where you thrive.
- You know how to get buy-in from key stakeholders. You’ve got a track record of bringing people on the journey with you – they know what’s changing and why.
- You like to move quickly, and aren’t afraid of fast growth and rapid change. Canva is growing faster than you can imagine – which means solutions that worked 6 months ago might break. You’re up for that challenge.
- You know how to prioritize ruthlessly and handle responsibilities for a wide number of projects – focusing your attention on the areas that matter most.
What you'll learn and how you'll develop at Canva
- The opportunity for growth is huge – leading other content designers, creating company-wide solutions, and seeing them through long-term.
- You’ll be able to work in a fast-moving environment and see how your ideas work at scale.
- We want this to be a mutually rewarding relationship, so we’ll support your growth and development throughout your time at Canva.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work. We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love. Psst – We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team – check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.