We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
At Canva, we’re transforming the way the world designs by building a suite of easy-to-use design tools (for graphics, animation, video, and print) in over 100 languages, and across browser-based and mobile platforms. Canva’s intuitive suite of design tools is built by an amazing team of engineers, designers, and product specialists from all over the world. As the features and services of our product suite expand, we’re setting some large and ambitious goals and thus -- are seeking Technical Leads to ensure that our engineering teams continue to deliver value to our customers. The role will be a mix of 20% hands-on technical leadership and 80% people leadership so you will still be able to get your hands dirty in the code. This being said you will have the drive and ambition to focus on the Non Technical Coaching aspects of the role focusing on the people.
Role and Responsibilities
- You will be instrumental in driving design, development, and deployment of software solutions
- Your vision and expertise will influence technical strategy and provide supportive coaching to your team in a fast-paced innovation-focused environment
- You will successfully empower your team to deliver large-scale projects from ideation to completion within start-up time frames to develop new features and products.
- By focusing on the human element of coaching you will promote a safe and healthy culture with a focus on collaboration and open communication
- You will immediately be responsible for a team of 3/4 Canvanauts with a view to expanding the scope of responsibility across multiple teams.
- Your inspiration guides your team to innovate, invent, implement and deploy complex software solutions in a complex distributed and mission-critical environment
- You will understand the need to experiment, measure and deploy or move on quickly
- Your team's success will be supported by setting up and running ongoing feedback sessions and initiative. You will help drive a healthy code review culture, knowledge sharing, design showcases, and helping improve processes through retrospectives
Required Skills and Experience
- You have discovered that you have a rare talent for motivating people - having previously led small high-performing teams of 3-8 members.
- You will understand the need to be Product Driven - understand the product life cycle, features, technical debt, QA, supporting quality at speed.
- You will know when you need to push back, shielding the team from disruptions. Providing a safe environment, helping to bring clarity.
- Your coding proficiency will still be that of a Seasoned Senior Front End Engineer, however you will have found the love and passion for Coaching People and developing a culture that enables teams to be their best.
- You will be more than happy to work in our environment - our core stack is Microservices Java backend, with a React/Typescript frontend.
- You will have successfully delivered projects in a large-scale cloud-based environments
- Your excellent written and verbal communication skills will enable you to manage stakeholders and communicate effectively across other groups.
- You will have the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds and with different professional and personal needs
- You will be able to demonstrate in order of preference your ability to lead and motivate teams, your 1st class technical skills followed by your product delivery capability.
- You will be leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and inclusive culture
Perks and benefits:
This role is open to remote applicants within Australia that do not need visa sponsorship. We will require occasional travel to Sydney up to three times per quarter, once it is safe to do so. The Canva workspace is set up for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, and quiet places to retreat. If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on complex, large-scale, online products that delight our millions of individual and business users alike all over the world - then apply now to be considered for the position! We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team in Sydney HQ
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaching and Employee Support Programs
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.