We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.About Team Finance
The Finance team’s mission is to protect and serve Canva and its key stakeholders; that is protecting Canva from external pressures and risks whilst balancing the need to best serve our teams. The vision is for Canva to be recognised and commended by its peers and stakeholders as having a world-class finance team.
As part of this team you will have the opportunity to:- Gain experience working at the headquarters of one of the world’s fastest growing tech companies; your work will impact millions of Canva’s global users- Learn from and work with some of Australia's best talent, including Canva’s founders, engineers, product and growth professionals- Develop and grow in a team focussed on its customersAbout Team TaxWe want to make tax painless (our crazy big goal!).
Our mission is to modernise a traditional tax cost centre into “Tax-as-a-Service” to ‘protect and serve’ the business, the needs of our employees, our investors, global Government and Tax Authorities where we operate, and ultimately the users of Canva’s amazing product. Our guiding principle is to operate in a manner that reflects our core value of being a good global citizen. We want to do all this within a fun and engaging environment that promotes collaboration, forward thinking and continuous improvement, all whilst making tax as painless as possible. Who we're looking for
As Canva continues on this exciting period of growth and traverses the ever increasing complexity of the tax landscape, there is now a need for another specialist for the Asia Pacific region. If you see the letter T or a cup of tea and immediately think of tax effect accounting (aka TEA) then this is the role for you.
You’ll have broad experience with both Australian and international tax concepts and are keen to expand your knowledge and skills within a commercial setting. Although this is a role for the Asia Pacific region, don’t fret if you only have Australian tax experience. We do not expect you to have international experience as long as you love to learn about different taxes all over the world (but it would be a bonus if you did).
You’ll work closely with the global tax team, other members of the finance team, the broader business and our service providers to ensure that the Group’s global tax obligations are met in all jurisdictions that we operate in.
We’re a fast moving business so change is frequent, you’ll be comfortable working in a hands on, dynamic environment and have excellent communication & negotiation skills, with a strong attention to details and a proactive attitude.
Working with the Tax Manager, the core responsibilities of the role include:
- Drive all things direct tax (compliance and advisory) in Australia and a number of jurisdictions in Asia Pacific in which the Group operates in
- Own compliance for each of your jurisdictions and ensuring successful completion and timely lodgement
- Champion tax effect accounting including: Prepare and review the global consolidated tax effect accounting, Collaborate with the broader finance team as pursue the conversion to US GAAP (and learn lots of other country GAAPs), Deliver the group’s tax reporting process, Proved tax effect accounting training, Implement technology to facilitate with the tax effect accounting process on a global scale
- Dive into complex tax technical matters and find solutions for critical business needs, including drafting technical advice and being the key point of contact for the APAC region
- Explore transfer pricing matters and collaborate with other teams to incorporate intercompany charges with month-end processes
- Be the ambassador for process improvement of your relevant jurisdictions, including: Own all tax projects with respect to your jurisdictions, Collaborate with the business to design and implement best-in-class processes, procedures and deliverables, Develop and implement process improvement strategies
- Take your continuous learning style to the next level as you plunge into ensuring the tax developments within the APAC region to help identify impacts to Canva
- Engage with our external tax service providers on the really tough projects
- Champion the use of technology within the tax function that can scale and grow with Canva and reduce the amount of administrative work (let’s find some space to think and be strategic!)
What we look for:
- A keen eye for detail, a strong desire to keep learning and you enjoy upholding high standards of excellence and integrity in the services you deliver
- Operating in a fast paced environment you are able to adapt quickly, manage workloads and meet deadlines with support and oversight
- You have excellent communication skills and approach tasks with a problem solving attitude, with a constant lens of continuous improvement.
- Please note that this role includes international tax in addition to Australian tax. Whilst we don’t expect you to be an expert in foreign tax laws, we do want you to be excited about developing your tax technical knowledge beyond our borders and we would love it if you have some international experience already. We will be looking for someone who is keen to expand their capability in the international tax arena as well as wanting to go deeper into Australian tax matters
Also, we’d love it if you had…
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Strong writing skills and business acumen with problem-solving creativity and commercial judgement
- Highly organised with the ability to work under pressure and within set deadlines
- Exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills
- Self motivated with a desire to learn
- Experience working in a fast growing, ever-changing environment
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been the ranked #1 Australian Workplace in Technology by JobAdvisor for the second year in a row. We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love. Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.