We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.About the Visual Content Team
The Visual Content Team is responsible for the amazing templates and elements of Canva’s content library, their creation, sourcing and management.
Our mission is to make sure that the content in Canva is the best overall quality while maintaining steady growth of the library. Our Inhouse design team creates high-quality, highly usable, on trend and super relevant content to fulfill a user’s need and to become the go-to place for all things related to design.
Our visual content is currently one of the largest design teams globally and we’re just getting started. We have big growth plans with this role being a core driver in how we scale. About the role
This role is a 12 month parental leave contract, but is highly likely to turn into a permanent role.
The Head of Design is responsible for all content that gets published to Canva’s library. Not only do you oversee our internal production teams, you provide creative direction and strategy to our Creators Program and work super closely with the group Product Manager to advise on any projects that involve content.
You will inspire and enable our production team to develop and maintain an amazing level of Craft, Communications and Design Thinking through empowering leadership skills, ensuring the team's work is effective and impactful.
You will provide support and guidance to our amazing team leads in the areas of Craft, Communication, Strategy & Leadership.
You will be able to build rapport and trust across the business, this role will be working closely with our leadership global team. You must be able to navigate complexity and drive strategic thinking for our visual content team globally.
And most importantly, you will ensure that our creative team gets the space to grow, develop and flex their creative brains on projects that inspire them. Connecting team members to other groups in the company, supporting them to present and show off their work and make strategic decisions that enable the company to hit goals but also allow your team to thrive.
What you'll do
- Lead a talented, diverse and inclusive team of Graphic Designers & Content Producers that consistently deliver amazing user experiences across Canva.
- Set achievable and inspiring goals that enable Canva as a product to grow and help uphold a high quality standard and design vision for content at Canva
- Champion and continue to deliver a Diverse Content Strategy, evaluating quality, relevance, and diversity of content across the library to build the most impactful library.
- Clearly communicate future design directions with key stakeholders including Group Leads, Design Leaders and Founders.
- Lead the content strategy for all content and manage alignment with other groups.
- Plan for future design resourcing needs with the Head of Design and Visual Content Team Leads & drive the team’s scalability through documentation and continual process improvement and leadership.
- Research competitors, trends, patterns and best-practises, design inspiration, user and business insights.
- Support teams in turning data into insights, tracking engagement on a group level, reporting on team's effectiveness & leveraging data for team growth/optimisation
- Grow a culture of design feedback to team members with sensitivity and honesty, helping them to grow and develop their skills to ensure all team members feel comfortable asking for and giving feedback.
- Support team members in all aspects of their work, making sure the team is recognised for their work across Canva and they have a chance to present and show off their own work.
- Working with our people support teams to ensure team happiness and psychological safety for the team
What we’re looking for
- Someone with 5-8 years experience as an Head of Design, Design Lead or Team Lead in the creative field with experience in directing content creation with a diverse range of output.
- Someone who has a lot of experience in leading and mentoring creative teams of varying sizes, providing professional support and development for junior and senior members of the team.
- Experience scaling a graphic design team. Including senior people management, team development, recruiting and organizational building experience.
- A love for design and content, who displays a high level of design craft who is comfortable in different media, formats, and projects.
- Someone who has the ability to communicate well and is able to share knowledge to a growing design team.
- A passion for pushing boundaries and pursuing excellence, with demonstrated experience in commissioning all types of creatives, in local and global situations as well as the confidence to try new things, and a passion for big ideas and storytelling
- The ability to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team environment;
- Someone who is comfortable with making detailed strategies and plans that can be executed.
- Deep understanding of how to uncover user needs through research and user empathy.
- A strong sense of design ethics - understanding that the design decisions we make at Canva impact millions of lives, everyday.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
Our benefits include
- Flexible hours and a hybrid working model which values work-life balance
- Our very own Canva University, internal coaching and Employee Support Programs to help you be your best
- Unique and flexible leave options so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development
- An annual Vibe & Thrive Allowance for you to spend as you choose on personal education, wellbeing, home office and social connection
- Virtual and in-office fitness and yoga classes, an onsite gym and breakfast and lunch prepared at our pet-friendly Sydney office by in-house chefs
- Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in
- Support for family and carers including a parental leave policy that prioritises inclusivity, recognising the diverse representations of modern families and supporting work-life balance.
We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love being part of. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every preference, to help you do the best work of your life. We recognise that every single person is unique and our workplace benefits aim to ensure we cater for all.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.