Babcock New Zealand are seeking experienced Riggers to join our highly skilled team based in Devonport, Auckland.
About the role
Join our team at Babcock and play a vital role in supporting the Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) fleet units.
As a Rigger, you'll have the opportunity to work with a diverse range of equipment, from cranes to heavy machinery. Your expertise in rigging and crane operations will ensure the safe and efficient handling of various loads. Babcock offers a dynamic and collaborative work environment where you can make a significant impact on the day-to-day operations of the Dockyard and Naval Base.
If you're looking for a challenging and rewarding career that prioritizes safety and teamwork, this position is the perfect fit for you.
- $35-$40 per hour depending on experience and qualifications
- 1.5x after 40hrs
- 2x after 43hrs
- Additional benefits
- Safe Rigging and Crane Operations: Be a skilled member of the Dockyard Rigging Team, ensuring all rigging and crane work is done safely. This includes handling different loads, guiding cranes, and preparing loads for crane use.
- Crane and Machinery Operation: Operate Dockyard cranes and machines, following the rules. This means setting up Mobile and Tower Cranes and using equipment like forklifts and trucks,
- Support for Dock Master and Wharf Foreman: Help the Dock Master and Wharf Foreman with tasks like preparing the dock, maintaining equipment, and supporting ship operations. Also, assist with the Waste Water Treatment Plant and be part of the Oil Spill Response Team.
- Safety Awareness: Be alert to risks in your work and follow safety rules closely.
- Oil Spill Response: Assist in preventing and dealing with oil spills.
Key Required Skills
- Rigging Expertise: Proficiency in rigging and slinging operations, including knowledge of cranes and various rigging equipment.
- Crane Operation: Competency in operating Mobile and Tower Cranes and familiarity with regulatory requirements.
- Equipment Operation: Ability to operate various machinery, such as forklifts, heavy trucks, and truck loader cranes, in accordance with relevant endorsements and unit standards.
- Maintenance and Safety: Undertake regular maintenance of equipment, conduct pre/post-use operator checks, and report any faults to the Unit Leader. Maintain a strong focus on safety and hazard awareness.
- Supportive Team Member: Work effectively as a team member, communicate efficiently with the rigging team and crane operators, and, when required, assume a lead role in rigging operations.
The ideal candidate for this role is an experienced Rigger with a deep understanding of rigging and crane work. They know how to safely handle different loads and operate cranes. They also follow safety rules closely and take safety seriously. This candidate is a good team player and is ready to lead when needed.
If this sounds like you, you're the perfect fit for the job.
Your future at Babcock – what we offer you
- Our work life integration policy brings together leave entitlements which include annual leave, wellbeing leave, paid parental leave, defence reservist leave plus more;
- We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career, supported by our capability framework plus ongoing access to self-led learning modules through LinkedIn Learning and access to study leave;
- You’ll have access to beRewarded which will provide you with endless discounts across retail, health, entertainment, travel and much more, plus novated leasing options and corporate shares plan;
- Your wellbeing is supported through our online wellbeing program Munch, Mind, Move, Money, access to our employee assistance program plus you can access two days annually from your personal leave as wellbeing days;
- You’ll be able to participate in our weRecognise program which is an opportunity to recognise the outstanding work our people do each and every day in living our principles which are Be kind, Collaborate, Be Curious, Think Outcomes, Be Courageous and Own & Deliver
Who we are
Babcock International Group, the aerospace and defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services for over a century.
Locally in New Zealand, we are actively growing our team to deliver some key projects for the defence and commercial sectors in Aotearoa. Our team of over 120 trades people work on the Devonport Naval Base in partnership with our customer, the Royal New Zealand Navy. As the Navy’s strategic maritime partner, we provide complete maintenance, repair and overhaul services to their entire Navy fleet. We also undertake ship conversions, life extensions, retrofits and major repairs, in both the dry-dock and in the water, for our customers.
To provide you some local context, some of the programs our team are proud to be a part of involve:
- Providing emergency medical and search & rescue aviation services through our Aviation & Critical Services business;
- Designing and supporting key systems for submarines and surface ships through our Marine business;
- Providing fleet wide through life support and asset management services for Navy customers;
- Managing critical assets for a range of sectors through our Land Business.
So, if you would like to join us and help create a safe and secure world, together, please apply via the ‘Apply Now’ button below.
To learn more about us visit www.babcock.com.au
We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds and experience however, the successful candidate must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand and capable of obtaining a New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) Security Clearance.
Please note, should your application progress you may be required to complete pre-employment checks. These checks may include but not limited to, reference checks, MOJ, security check, qualifications and right to work.
Babcock Australasia is a Circle Back Initiative Employer - we commit to respond to every applicant.
Job Req #52760