We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.Location: West Coast with a preference for Los Angeles or San Francisco. We are also open to candidates globally who are open to relocation to the US or Australia. Our Content & Discovery Team Content & Discovery is Canva’s fastest-growing group, with over 600+ staff including product managers, engineers, product designers, visual designers, data scientists, creative contractors and more; it traces its lineage to Canva’s very first team! (“Marketplace”). We own Canva’s content strategy across supply and demand.Canva wouldn’t be the same without its library of content and the ability to discover it to kickstart creativity.The RoleAs the Head of Search & Recommendations, you will be a visionary, defining the future vision of how search and recommendation works in the Canva product and library. You will build and lead our rapidly growing product and engineering team through strategy, development and the implementation of S&R technologies for the best possible user experience. We are not looking to make small step changes. We are striving for significant growth in this space and are looking to invest heavily with the right leader at the helm.
A bit about the person we're looking for:
- A holistic, natural leader. Build great teams of experts in their craft including technologists beyond the product specialty.
- Strategic thinker and problem solver. Identify strengths and gaps, with an ability to bring chaos to and align goals across the business for a cohesive product experience.
- Have a growth mindset. Understand growth for scalability with the ability to accelerate and motivate others at pace.
- A product expert with a technical mindset. You’ll have the perfect marriage of product and technical skills to place ideas at the forefront of S&R capabilities.
- A visionary. Identify a clear future roadmap to be able to build this space from the ground up.
The experience you'll bring to the role:
- Deep experience in search and recommendations, we are looking for a world-class leader to accelerate our success
- Be a T-shaped technologist with the ability to connect dots across Canva
- A strong product lens and comprehensive understanding of product features and Canva’s capabilities
- Management and strong strategic leadership experience
- Ability to drive people, teams, projects and goals
- An in-depth understanding of the technologies to power search
- Experience working with different stakeholders
- Proactively resolve strategic issues and unblock others with a solution-focused approach
- Goal-driven. Able to manage multiple, complex projects, with differing deadlines - keep people on track and informed, and ensure the goals are clear and met
- Experience working with different stakeholders, collaborative mindset, and communicating clearly (whether that's to your team, training and up-leveling others, or presenting to the business)
What you'll achieve
- You'll help set crazy big goals, and empower teams to achieve them. You’ll find ways to help our global library surface content for scale to millions, if not billions of diverse users.
Some early goals will include
- Understand our current processes to identify key opportunities and pain points for improvement
- Build and drive the S&R vision and strategy using a data and user-centric approach, identifying measures for success
- Apply your deep expertise to Canva context
Other achievements as this role develops:
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
- Play an active role in shaping a world class team
- Align stakeholders and rally others to deliver on our roadmap, accelerating Canva, and your team for growth
- Make the grand vision a reality
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.