We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
About UsAt Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
We’re looking for a Senior Corporate Counsel to join our team and undertake the best work of their career. The role is part of a close-knit Legal Team team here at Canva, and will provide support on a number of exciting transactional matters.
This work is challenging and our execution on it is why the team won the award for its category at the 2019 and 2020 Australian Corporate Counsel Awards. You’ll thrive in a fast-moving, fluid environment, and be passionate about implementing change, good processes and procedures in a commercial setting at one of the world’s fastest growing technology companies.
What you'll do:
- Help manage global M&A and investment transactions in collaboration with our Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Counsel, including structuring transactions, drafting term sheets and other preliminary documentation, managing deal processes, performing due diligence, negotiating definitive documentation, assisting on regulatory filings, closing deals and managing pre- and post-closing integration
- Drive continuous improvements, scalability and operational excellence in deal processes and execution
- Advise on various corporate securities and corporate governance related matters, including in the areas of securities regulation and compliance and Delaware corporate law
- Assist as needed with Canva’s global subsidiaries and help drive our global expansion efforts
- Assist with company capitalization matters, including helping to negotiate private financing transactions
- Provide pragmatic and risk weighted advice for internal stakeholders on a number of other corporate and transactional related matters
- Establish appropriate policies, processes, and systems in areas of coverage that enable the company to grow and scale effectively
- Work cross functionally across the company to analyze legal risks, devise creative solutions and develop strong, trusted advisor relationships
- Keep current on applicable securities laws, corporate governance developments, market trends, and best practices to ensure continued compliance and identify emerging trends and risk
- Pitch in on other legal matters in order to support the growth of the business
What we are looking for:
- You’ll have 10+ years of relevant experience, including general corporate, securities, corporate governance, ventures, and M&A experience gained at law firms and in-house legal departments (ideally at a SaaS or other technology company) in roles of increasing responsibility
- Bachelor of Law (LLB) or Juris Doctor or equivalent qualification and admitted to practice in Australia or the United States
- You are not afraid to get your hands dirty - no task is too big or too small
- You are excited by the challenge of the role and are keen to develop it and grow it as Canva continues to scale
- You possess strong organizational skills and you have experience working directly with stakeholders inside and outside the legal function
- You have proven your ability to engage others using your excellent oral and written communication skills
- You are resourceful and self-motivated and have exceptional time management and organizational skills
- You can work well in a team but are capable of working autonomously
- You have demonstrated an ability to exercise good judgment under intense pressure
- You are risk aware, not risk averse
- You have a keen eye for detail
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.