Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the role
The Video AI team at Canva is pushing the boundaries of online video editing with cutting-edge AI/ML features that empower anyone to create engaging videos. We’re working to make Canva the go-to video playground for everyone.
We’re excited to be creating amazing new features that help our rapidly expanding and highly engaged user base to be more productive and tell their stories with engaging video content. We invite you to be part of this mission to help shape the future of video content creation.
2023 is an incredible time to join the team. We are small but growing rapidly. The problem space and industry is advancing quickly. You will have a direct influence on our ambitious plans to scale AI / ML experiences for over 100 million active users.
Canva Video has one of the largest audiences of content creators in the world. You’ll be a key driver in helping to achieve our vision of becoming the go-to video platform. Many of our newest features aim to help empower the world to design great videos by bringing "magic" AI capabilities to our product, and you’ll be working in a full-stack team to build and own the backend services that make this possible.
What you’ll do:
- Lead, design, develop and deploy solutions to challenging problems, working closely with other engineers, designers and product managers to deliver features and experiments that will be used by millions of users monthly and make a global impact
- Own the entire lifecycle of the code; design, development, test, maintenance, and subsequent fixes and improvements as required to support the product roadmap
- Work collaboratively and consult with Leads, Product Managers, and Engineers across Canva to unblock backend work required for your group achieve their goals
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and effectively advocate for engineering needs to non-technical stakeholders within the group
- Mentor other Engineers in the team
- Demonstrate initiative and ownership in achieving goals, improving processes and solutions
- Identify opportunities for cross-team collaboration to work on new ideas and improvements that help achieve our goals
What you'll bring:
- Commercial experience in a software development environment, building scalable backend systems
- Most of our code is in Java, so ideally you will be comfortable using Java (or another similar object-oriented programming language)
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns
- You are a strong communicator and a team player and are eager to work together with your colleagues to brainstorm ideas.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.